Georgia has been making wine for at least 8,000 years, and is considered to be the oldest winemaking country in the world. Its traditional winemaking method in qvevri, or clay jars, is on the Unesco list of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity. Therefore, tasting wine is a must-do activity at Tbilisi’s wine bars. The choice is so diverse, you might not know where to start – so we’ve put together some of the best wines for you to taste.
Here at Culture Trip we believe food and drink embodies the heart of national culture. That’s why we’ve created a special food-and-drink-themed trip to Georgia for all you foodies out there, eager to discover the gastronomic character of this beautiful country. Led by a Local Insider, you’ll get to try all manners of local dishes – and even cook some for yourself.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Giuaani – Mtsvane Qvevri 2014
Mtsvane is a dry, white wine using the traditional method with clay jars – qvevri. The wine is fermented in qvevri for five months, then moved to oak barrels for four months to complete its maturity. The wine has a light golden colour characterised by a rich fragrance and mixed flavours of exotic fruits, cacao and cinnamon. The wine goes well with pork, meat and cheese.
Chateau Khashmi – Kisi
This dry, unfiltered amber wine made in qvevri has a dark straw colour and light aromas. The whole process of winemaking – maceration, aging and fermentation – is done in the clay jars without any additions, filtration, or sulfites.
Orgo – Rkatsiteli 2014
Also made in qvevri, this amber-hued white wine is produced solely from Rkatsiteli grapes. The wine is aged in clay jars for at least six months, which determines its dark colour. Distinguished by aromas of dried apricot, truffle, almond and hay, the wine has velvety tannins and tastes more like a red wine rather than a white you might be used to.
Winiveria – Kisi 2015
Made in the European style, Winiveria’s Kisi is a dry white wine with a pale amber colour made from Kisi grapes. It has the aromas of sweet fruits and citrus, a well-balanced acidity and mild taste. The wine goes well with fish, cheese and mushrooms.
Usakhelauri Vineyard – Usakhelauri 2015
Usakhelauri one of the rarest grape types of Georgia – making it one of the most expensive ones as well. The vineyards of Usakhelauri grapes are characterised by a low harvest volume, and the cultivation is very difficult as well. This particular Usakhelauri grape is harvested from the best terrain and is ruby in colour, with aromas of red and white cherries. Therefore, the wine is a dessert wine and goes well with fruits and fruitcakes.
Orovela – Saperavi 2006
This rich, ruby-coloured wine has blackberry, black mulberry and cherry flavours. Velvety tannins from the most delicate oak barrels provide the wine with a subtle structure.
Kindzmarauli Marani – Kindzmarauli Original
Kindzmarauli is a red, naturally semi-sweet wine made from Saperavi grapes grown in the Kindzmarauli micro-zone. With a deep garnet colour, velvety taste and long finish, Kindzmarauli Original has intense aromas of raspberry and blackberry.
Mukado – Traditional Qvevri Mtsvane 2014
The colour of Traditional Qvevri Mtsvane wine is amber with golden tints, and is defined by ripe and dry fruit flavours of apricot and yellow plums, together with balancing honey and nutty overtones. The wine pairs perfectly with lighter meats such as turkey, pork and quail, as well as seafood and salads. It also goes well with Asian hot-sour flavors, spicy curries and pizza.
Tchotiashvili – Rcheuli Qvevri Khikhvi 2014
Under the label “Rcheuli Qvevri,” the company has put together the best examples of the vintage. This dry white wine is made from Khikhvi grapes with traditional methods in clay jars. It has a straw colour and is mild and complex in taste.
Mildiani – Kisi 2011
Made in qvevri with traditional methods, the wine is a dark straw colour with amber tones. It has rich fruit flavours of peach and apricot together with honey.
Alaverdi Monastery Cellar since 1011 – Rkatsiteli 2013
This white wine is amber in colour with a golden hue, and is identified with different aromas of fresh and dried fruits and hints of walnut. It has a long-lasting, velvety finish and a very slight off-dry taste.
Lagvinari – Saperavi 2011
Lagvinari’s Saperavi is a deep red, dark cherry colour. The wine has berry flavours with hints of dry plum, pepper and cherry.
Kakhuri – Saperavi Reserve 2005
This red wine is aged in barrel for 24 months, which results in flavours of strawberry, spice and a definite hint of vanilla with liquorice and subtle oak tones.
Chateau Mukhrani – Reserve Royale Goruli Mtsvane 2012
Goruli Mtsvane is an indigenous and unusual white varietal, which can create very different and aromatic wines. Reserve Royale Goruli Mtsvane has a rich bouquet of grapefruit flower, strengthened with pear and subtle oak aging. The wine goes best with fish, poultry or vegetable salads.
Marani – Reserve 2007
Made from Saperavi grapes, Marani’s Reserve is a deep ruby-red colour, and infused with aromas of red fruit jam, cherry liquor and spicy-smoky tones.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.