If the upcoming World Cup will definitely accentuate the prominence of football in France, another sport is certainly making waves as well. In recent years, judo, the sport, has become more and more popular and certainly deserves all of its hype. With about 600 thousand registered people practicing judo, find out why the French are swapping football fields for tatamis.
The ancestral martial art that was created by Jigoro Kano in Japan in 1882 is a physical, moral and mental pedagogy. While the business side of football and the players’ antics have given the sport a bad reputation, it seems that judo’s values have become appealing to more and more parents, who encourage their children to take on judo. According to French judo president Jean-Luc Rougé and also, the country’s first world champion, judo is more than a sport, it is a way of life.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
“Judo has developed not as a sport in France, but as an educational system”, he says.
For Chantal, mother of nine-year-old Jessica, she says that judo has been a great addition to her daughter’s sports activities and that it has helped her daughter to canalize her energy.
“Jessica was playing tennis but still had a lot of energy to spare”, Chantal says. “She had a friend at school who invited her to participate in one of his judo sessions and when she came back home that day, she said she wanted me to sign her up the next year”.
Chantal says that although her daughter’s main sport remains tennis, she can definitely see the positive impact the practice of judo has had on her daughter.
“It’s hard for children to focus for a long time because they get easily distracted”, Chantal says. “After a couple of weeks of judo lessons, I noticed that Jessica was more disciplined when doing her homework and more focused on the tennis court”.
France had its great share of champions in the discipline along the years, but Teddy Riner’s dominance of the sport over the last decade has certainly had an impact on the constant increase of people joining clubs. Indeed, the French athlete has clinched 10 world champion titles, won two gold Olympic medals, won five European championships, along with many more titles and is on a 144-fight winning streak. In addition to his exceptional sporting achievements, Riner’s numerous caritative initiatives and positive image make him the perfect role model for kids.
“Teddy Riner is a 10-time world champion. Maybe it will be 12 or 14”, Rougé says. “That is not the most important: Teddy is an image of the people”.
“Judo is about discipline, respect and it teaches you to how to look for excellence”, Chantal says. “These are values that I believe are essential in life and it’s even better if you can learn about them when you are young”.
Indeed, about 10% of the eight-year-old children in France are members of the French Judo Federation, which is the highest rate for any sport in the country.
If Rougé is pleased with the growing interest in this sport, he explains that some improvements can be made but he remains optimistic for the future.
“We need more substantial spaces to organise more important events”, he says “The French Federation of Basketball has done a great job coming up with new strategies and has seen its number of members grow substantially and it could be an example for us. I also want to thank all the people involved in our federation. Judo has done a great job here – and for the future”.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.