Cannes, on the stunning French Riviera, has some fantastic places for capturing the perfect Instagram-worthy picture, whether you’re after bling and boats or shorelines and sunsets. From the old town’s cobbled shopping streets to the port and the nearby Lérins Islands, you’ll find great photo opportunities. Here’s our guide to the most photogenic spots.
The Port of Saint-Honorat
Saint-Honorat is the second biggest island in a group of four just off the coast of Cannes (take the ferry from the Port of Cannes) and you’ll find plenty of photo opportunities – an especially good spot is the port. Just be warned that you cannot take the same ferry around all the islands – if you want to continue onwards, you’ll need to take another boat when you return to the Port of Cannes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Abbaye de Lérins
The old abbey in Saint-Honorat is the perfect place to drop by. Monks have been in the local area for centuries and now, you can visit them in their own home, all 40 acres of it. They produce wine using local methods. Take a guided tour, be amazed by the vineyard and eat at the restaurant. You can also take mass with them and even stay on retreat, which will give you more time to take your amazing photos.
The Fortress of Lérins
Just down the road from the Lérins Abbey, on the island of Saint-Honorat, you’ll find this beautiful fortress nestled at the edge of the sea. It was built by monks who were permanently scared of invasions. Indeed, they were turfed out of their home by the Spanish in 1635 but were able to return two years later when the French regained control. It’s a great photo opportunity.
The Island of Sainte-Marguerite
The Island of Sainte-Marguerite is the largest of four small islands off the coast of Cannes. It has some lovely beaches and is great for a picnic. Just a 15-minute boat ride from Cannes, this is one of the places where the legendary Man in the Iron Mask was locked up, even though no one knew who he was (or so the story goes.). It makes for a great Instagram shot.
The famous Croisette – the promenade along the coast of Cannes – is the perfect place to take wonderful photos, whether it be at sunset or looking back at the smart hotels. What’s more, when Cannes plays host to the film festival every year, the Croisette is decked out in red, making it the perfect place to feel like a celebrity and have the photos to prove it.
Port Pierre Canto
Port Pierre Canto is on the easterly edge of the Croisette and it’s a great spot to take photos of the harbour and people wearing bling. It’s one of two ports used in the annual and much-celebrated Cannes Yachting Festival and so, it’s a great place to snap piccies of those big superyachts. In summer, the nocturnal markets attract a lot of people.
Musée de la Castre
Built in the 12th century, the old fortress in the neighbourhood of Le Suquet offers amazing views over Cannes, from which to take wonderful photos of the town and the Meditteranean Sea. It was built by monks to defend the city and now contains an art collection that is very eclectic.
The Streets in Old Town
Whether you head up the rue Coste Corail (leading up to the old area of Le Suquet) or one of the adjoining streets, it’s a perfect opportunity for postcard views of old fishermen’s cottages. Le Suquet is the oldest neighbourhood in Cannes, settled by the Romans, later by monks and then, by fishermen making a living. Today, it’s a great place to take photos of the pastel coloured cottages and cobbled streets before stopping for a lovely dinner.
This 200-acre national park is just to the west of Cannes‘ town centre and a perfect place to take Instagram snaps. It has five trails and a beautiful view over the Mediterranean Sea, especially when you hike to the cross at the top. It was designed by a British couple when they built a large home nearby but it’s now free to enjoy for all.
Built in the 14th and 15th centuries, this wonderful church sits at the top of the hill above Cannes and offers wonderful views over the town. It’s a nice complement to its neighbour the Musée de la Castre which was built a couple of centuries before. Together they make up Cannes historical content.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.