Cannes? Cheap? We hear your incredulity. Travel smart, though, and the home of the glamorous annual film festival and legions of A-lister superyachts can be more affordable than you think. Part of getting it right is choosing the best wallet-friendly restaurants and thrifty activities – but, more than anything, you’ve got to book an affordable place to stay. So we’ve rounded up the best options for you – now bookable with Culture Trip.
This hotel brings a dash of fun to one of the most glamorous cities in France – think Asterix cartoon characters printed onto bedroom walls; juicy pops of orange, red and lime on throw cushions; and a lush garden terrace for cheers-ing your friends and family with glasses of bubbly. Staying here, you’re a hop north of central Cannes, but that gives you the opportunity to explore a more local side to the city, as well as to escape on day trips to surrounding Provençal villages. Win-win.
Need to be in the heart of the action? This hotel is steps from the old port in Cannes – a photogenic jumble of boats – as well as the Palais des Festivals, home to the renowned annual film festival. The property itself is a real looker, all sculpted Belle Époque architecture with sweet little Juliet balconies; inside, rooms ooze classic elegance with peachy tones and wood-trimmed furniture. Don’t miss the buffet spread, a calorific wonderland of pastries, bread, meats and cheeses that will fuel you for the morning – possibly the whole day – without you having to spend a cent more.
A wallet-friendly hotel in Cannes – with a spa? You bet. This contemporary property on the city’s central-artery road doesn’t only deliver comfortable rooms, furnished in pops of golden yellow and grey, but it also has a proper wellness area, complete with a hammam, frothing hot tub and an array of treatments. After your sugar body rub or lomilomi massage, snag a table in the tranquil garden, and treat yourself to a soothing cup of tea.
Some of the best shopping in Cannes is on your doorstep here – so, with so much to splurge on, it’s a good thing that Hôtel Renoir is reasonably priced. Not that you’d guess from the elegant rooms: dressed in floaty white fabrics, cushy sand-coloured carpets and, in the case of the suites, spacious seating areas for stretching out. Curl up under one of the fluffy throws, and plan your day. Will it be the beach or a long, lazy lunch at one of the seafood-stuffed bistros?
The picture-perfect pinky exterior looks like something out of a fairytale – you can’t help but Instagram it. Step in, and you’ll find Villa Claudia is just as enticing, with stylish but homely interiors: think glam black-and-white photos and furry throw pillows. There’s an apartment with a modern kitchen if you’d like to self-cater, as well as plenty of other perks, such as a quiet garden and 24/7 private parking (something of a rarity in central Cannes). Tuck into the morning buffet breakfast – a feast starring pastries baked nearby.
The name says it all; when you book in here, you’re only steps from La Croisette, the seaside boulevard in Cannes, where fashionable residents pop into designer shops and grab ice creams to nibble on the beach. The prime location means you can spend your days out exploring, taking in the neighbouring islands or markets before heading back to the comfy rooms that are prettied up with crisp whites and steely greys. They number just two dozen, but there’s still plenty of choices, with triples for families. You’ll like the intimate vibe, something often absent in larger hotels.
In the east of Cannes, this pad looks classically French from the outside – green shuttered windows, umbrella-shaded terrace – but step through the doors, and be prepared for a blast of modernity. Aperol spritzes gleam orange in the swish bar, and contemporary rooms catch the eye with bright colours and funky wallpaper. Drop your bags, and head for the hotel’s private stretch of sand, C-Beach, for a lunch of seafood linguine in between cooling dips in the inviting blue Mediterranean.
Just because a hotel’s easy on the wallet doesn’t mean you have to compromise on style. The rooms at this brilliantly located central property lay on fluffy bathrobes, creamy-white decor and – best of all – outdoor space, which includes private balconies overlooking palm trees, and garden terraces with stretch-out loungers for long, lazy Provençal afternoons. A family room sleeping four is handy if you’re visiting with little ones in tow, while apartments are available if you want to save more cash by self-catering. Yes, even in Cannes, you can.
Book the best family-friendly hotels and the best hotels in Cannes now via Culture Trip. Only staying for one day? The perfect itinerary’s already sorted for you. We also have lists of the best wellness experiences and the best cafes in town for you.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.