Cannes and the French Riviera have long drawn the stars of cinema with their palm-fringed paths, grand hotels and miles of winding sand – think Grace Kelly and Cary Grant curling around cliffside roads in To Catch a Thief, Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline in the aptly titled French Kiss. Live like a starlet – and maybe even alongside them – with a stay in one of the best hotels in Cannes, the pulsing heart of the Côte d’Azur.
Canopy by Hilton Cannes
With panoramic views over the Mediterranean from one of the city’s best rooftop terraces, interiors designed by acclaimed designer Ramy Fischer and a relaxing swimming pool that flows from indoor to outdoor, the hotel is set to be the new key feature in Cannes. This opening marks Hilton’s entry into the city and is the latest addition to the growing portfolio of Canopy by Hilton properties across Europe.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The hotel features 129 guest rooms and suites, along with a further 12 apartments, most of which offer impressive views over the old harbour, La Croisette and the Lérins Islands. In collaboration with a prestigious jury of art experts and private collectors across the world, the hotel has invited twelve talented young artists to create unique artwork for each room. Contemporary artwork is complemented by Canopy by Hilton’s sophisticated comfort, including the brand’s signature canopy bed frame, exclusive bedding created just for Canopy by Hilton and thoughtful amenities like Canopy socks and Nespresso machines.
If you’re looking to really live the lifestyle associated with Cannes, this is the best place to start.
Five Seas Hotel Cannes
Dripping in old-world glamour – this is the French Riviera, after all – the Five Seas specialises in unabashed luxury. Sure, the sprawling Presidential and Terrace Suites don’t need stainless steel jacuzzis on the terrace, but it’s nice to have them anyway. The three on-site eateries follow a more Balearic aesthetic with white-washed walls, rattan lampshades and plants plonked in every corner. The Roof, which serves cocktails alongside posh street food and DJ sets, is especially loyal to this theme; scatter cushions are plentiful, and a plunge pool is slap bang in the middle, à la every trendy hotel that attracts a largely young clientele.
Hôtel de Provence
The towering Hôtel de Provence, with its charming eggshell blue balconies and garden walls, feels distinctly like an urban abode. The air-conditioned rooms, featuring cupboard beds and partition walls, are compact and cleverly laid out. While there’s enough to keep you comfortable – full French breakfasts and an on-site shop – the real selling point is the hotel’s location. The Croisette promenade, yacht-lined marina and the many beaches and boardwalks of the Côte d’Azur are all nearby. Sure, you can push the bed back into the cupboard and order a tipple from the 24-hour bar – but with the beach right outside, you’ll easily find more scenic places to enjoy a glass of Provence rosé.
Hôtel Martinez, Unbound Collection by Hyatt
Glitz, glamour and an inordinate amount of marble come together to create this Pierre-Yves Rochon-decorated super hotel. Leaning heavily on its art deco roots – the Hôtel Martinez opened in the late 1920s and came to prominence alongside the launch of the jet-set lifestyle – this serene seaside hotel is the height of French Riviera style. Designed to evoke a “Mediterranean dream”, the undeniably luxe hotel is awash with aqua blue and white lacquer furnishings. The Bay of Cannes and La Croisette sit at the sandy feet of the Martinez – but for the best view, you’ll have to spring for the panoramic Penthouse Suite.
Hôtel Barrière le Majestic
You can’t call a hotel “Majestic” and not be prepared to pull out all the stops; fortunately, Hôtel Barrière Le Majestic doesn’t fall short on its promise. Silver service, a sumptuous spa specialising in Biologique Recherche beauty care, a private beach club and the Champagne Cinema Club come with the starry territory. A wood-decked infinity pool overlooks the glistening bay below, where sun-kissed Alain Delon types jet ski across the glassy water. The influence of the Cannes Film Festival can be deeply felt and given that the Palais des Festivals – the hub of the festival – faces this art deco manse, it’s to be expected and also the reason celebrities keep coming back.
B&B Villa Blanche
This pristine B&B, translating to”white villa”, resembles something between a Swiss ski lodge and a Provençal cottage. It serves up quaint countryside vibes by the bucketload: expect cutesy ornaments, watering cans stuffed with flowers and plenty of gingham. Outside, you’ll find Carnot Boulevard, which runs right down to the ritzy port and sun-bleached Croisette Beach. Meanwhile, the reliable and reasonable public transport – bus and train – provides easy links to Monte Carlo, Antibes and Nice, and all are worth a day trip should the pageantry of the yacht-strewn marina and buzzy Croisette prove too much.
There’s a Floridian air to Hotel Verlaine that extends past the colourful balcony shutters, tropical decor, and yuccas and palm trees which run contrary to the Belle Époque main building and art deco façade. Going against the grain of traditional Riviera style, this vibrant hotel bursts with exotic flair – and this is especially true in the glassy conservatory that overlooks sprouting desert plants. Fill up at the generous – and gluten-free – buffet before heading to the private C beach of the hotel’s sister site.
Looking for something a little more lavish? Book a stay at one of Cannes’ most luxurious hotels. If you’re interested in the history of hotels in the area, read our brief history of the world-famous Carlton Intercontinental Hotel.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.