From buzzy coffee shops to traditional, old-school staples, here are the nine best cafés in the coastal city.
There’s nothing more quintessentially French than spending the afternoon nestled in a café with a coffee in hand. While café culture has spread worldwide, there’s nothing like experiencing it first-hand in the country that arguably started it all. Whether you fancy sitting and sipping with friends or solo with a newspaper or for spot of people-watching, these are the best places to get your caffeine fix in Cannes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A mix between a café, restaurant and tea room, Volupté Anytime is ideal for, well, anytime of the day. While it offers a classic tea service, it’s the coffee that keeps people coming back here time and time again. Brewed from fresh Italian-sourced beans, their cappuccino au Nutella (which is exactly what it sounds like) is a favourite. If you want a quick snack to go with your coffee, their famed açai bowls are beautifully presented as well as being nutritious.
Decorated with kitsch floral wallpaper and vintage furniture, this quaint spot serves the best cupcakes, cookies and baked goods in Cannes. The restaurant is self-serve, so pop up to the counter and grab a Kinder cookie and a latte for an afternoon pick-me-up. Plus, vegans and vegetarians will find plenty of options on both the dessert and lunch menu. In the words of Emilie, you can expect an experience “far, far from the sanitised and standardised world of fast food chains; it is above all a place to feast and have a good time, a place with personality and lots of character.”
Nestled among the most expensive fashion boutiques in Cannes, you’ll find the Armani Caffè. Housed just next door to the Giorgio Armani boutique, café-goers can now sip and shop under one roof. With a large, sprawling terrace, it is particularly popular with famous guests during the annual Cannes Movie Festival. Be sure to order an Armani-branded coffee, or stay for lunch and try the Armani Club Sandwich with chicken, egg and porchetta.
Ladurée’s upscale bakeries have been dominating the café scene in France for years, and the Cannes location is no exception. Decorated using whimsical pastel hues, macarons here range from rich chocolate to a delicate rose flavour. Pair this sweet treat with a strong cup of coffee, served in delicate china. Reservations are available, so book as far ahead as possible.
Just a stone’s throw from the beach sits the cosy Happiness Share Café. With soft, acoustic tunes playing from the bar area to the bohemian hanging swings, this café is the perfect spot for a catch-up with friends or ideal as a quiet place to work. Find freshly brewed coffee on the menu by day and in the evenings, sip on their extensive selection of wine. In the summer months, take your cup of coffee out to the small terrace and soak up the sun.
For a taste of Italy in the heart of Cannes, visit Noisette Café et Cuisine. Popular with residents for the Italian-style cappuccinos and hearty Italian dishes, this spot is perfect for anytime of the day. With bright blue walls and pink banquettes, this intimate restaurant and café is perfect for a date or an ideal spot for catching up with friends. Run by a husband and wife team, owner Thierry Blanqui says: “We drive daily over the border from Italy to bring the finest sustainable ingredients from our home to our dishes.”
Situated across from the Palais De Festivals, La Californie feels like a café straight from a film set. With elegant white umbrellas keeping guests shaded from the sun and bright green tables that line the patio, prepare to settle in for an afternoon of reading and fresh coffee. If you’re feeling peckish, serving portions are large, simple and reasonably priced. Be sure to try the signature steak tartare.
Run by one of the most highly regarded pastry chefs in the world, Pâtisserie Intuitions by J. is Jérôme De Oliveira’s first boutique café. With a laid-back atmosphere, patrons can pull up a chair and select one of the many pastry options available, from macarons to cakes. The coffee is equally on par with the food, served in a bowl style cup with marshmallows on top. The menu is ever-changing based on the season, as chef Oliveira explains: “It’s not me who decides which product will become a speciality, but my customers.”
Located right on the beach, L’Alba is an unmissable café in Cannes. With the crisp sea air providing a welcome breeze, a wide-ranging food menu and friendly service, it’s no wonder L’Alba fills up early in the morning. Sip on an expertly crafted latte, and then make a run for a refreshing dip in the sea. If you stick around for the lunch menu, you’ll find fresh seafood and reasonably priced sandwiches available.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.