Located on the picturesque French Riviera, Cannes has a well-earned reputation as the home of the rich and glamorous. However, just a short flight away is Bordeaux, which offers something totally different altogether.
Its no coincidence that major airlines in Nice, the closest international airport to Cannes itself, offer an early flight to Bordeaux and a late evening return. With a flight time of just over an hour, this service is purpose-built for day trips, and that’s just what many locals choose to do.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Antoine Gravouil, co-owner of luxury spirit brand Sauvelle, tells Culture Trip about how the perception of the port city is changing and what it means for businesses in the area.
“Bordeaux has a rich history of trade and wine making over the last centuries. This amazing heritage can also be difficult to deal with for new businesses. Over the recent years a new generation of entrepreneurs have given a new vibe to the city, which has been called ‘the sleeping beauty’ for many years,” Gravouil says.
You might also like: Discover the Revival of a Lesser-Known Bordeaux Neighbourhood
From the outside it certainly looks like a rapidly evolving scene. Just as Cannes is synonymous with film, Bordeaux is also known for one thing – wine. The industry makes €14.5 billion (£12.9 billion) a year in the region, but Bordeaux is also on the UNESCO World Heritage List as “an outstanding urban and architectural ensemble” of the 18th century.
Cannes is just as tied to its one big industry of film, and there are times when the glamour and luxury of all its festivals can get a bit overwhelming. There is the Old Town, which is a pleasant walk from the hustle and bustle of the beaches and the Palais de Festivals area, but it’s largely overlooked by visitors. The hotels in the area reflect this, with heritage and links to the film world prevalent everywhere you look.
Along with the Carlton Intercontinental, the Barrière Le Majestic is one of Cannes’ most iconic hotels. It is situated on the seafront on La Croisette and has 349 rooms. Hôtel Barrière Le Majestic is an institution, where people come to stay, gamble at the casino and lounge on the private beach, all with style and panache – this is no cheesy resort. It stages lots of great events, has three restaurants, including the new BFire, and three bars, one of which is poolside.
You might also like: The Best Day Trips From Cannes
With stunning views of the Mediterranean and located close to the Old Town, this luxury hotel is perfect for the myriad festivals that take place in Cannes. A short walk from the buzzing hub of the coastal town, this hotel also boasts a superb rooftop terrace, opulent spa and pool facilities and a restaurant fit for any foodie experience.
There is the obvious getaway of Monaco, but it’s hard to call it a complete break from Cannes. If you’re looking for a radical change in scenery, then Bordeaux could be the answer. The drive from the centre of Cannes to Nice airport is about 30 minutes and the area is also well connected by buses and trains, meaning you can get to your flight relatively easily.
The juxtaposition of modern and traditional can be seen in Bordeaux both in the architecture and the drinks industry. The Museum of Wine (known as La Cité du Vin) dominates the skyline in the more modern part of the city, but there are plans for spirit distilleries to open in the area, something of a shake-up given the heritage of Bordeaux. Creatives and start-ups from around the country are also flocking to the city, with trendy areas springing up everywhere.
Cannes is unlikely to change much, whereas Bordeaux is evolving at a rapid rate. Proposed connections via a new Eurostar have been approved, making Bordeaux even more accessible in the near future.
You might also like: Understanding the Start-Up Ecosystem in Bordeaux
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.