The Canebière in Marseille is one of its most iconic streets and it has a lively history that includes drugs, prostitution, beheadings and riches.
It’s One Of The Most Well-Known Boulevards In Marseille
The Canebière is one of the best-known thoroughfares in Marseille, running from the Old Port to the imposing St Vince de Paul Church. Every major city has one iconic street and this is Marseille’s equivalent to Paris’ Champs Elysées, Nice’s Promenade des Anglais or Cannes’ Croisette. Unlike its sister cities, Marseille’s version is not a pristine esplanade of chic flagship stores or fancy restaurants. Much like Marseille itself, La Canebière is much more down to earth. It’s where locals eat in great restaurants that don’t look like much from the front but where the food inside is great. It’s where friends meet for an early coffee before work and where people pop into the shops on their way home.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
La Canebière Is Named After Cannabis
It gets its name from the Latin word for cannabis. In Provençal dialect, “canabiera” was the area around where the avenue now exists. From the Middle Ages, this area was full of hemp fields, a type of cannabis grown for its industrial uses. For centuries, Marseille was one of the world’s largest traders of hemp baskets and ropes until other fibres started to be used instead.
The Avenue Brought Riches In During The 17th Century
Louis XIV ordered an avenue to be built in 1666 when the city began to expand. It was designed specifically to lead down to the sea so that it would be of help to the new tanneries and gardens that were being built. It was originally only 250 metres long. Gradually, the street began to grow. The first houses were built in 1671 (but were since destroyed), trees were planted along the boulevard in 1727 and between 1743 and 1751, today’s current grand buildings were built and luxury shops opened up, like perfume houses and sweet shops. In 1785, La Canebière had been extended to the length it is now.
The French Revolution Brought The Guillotine And Culture
La Canebière has always been a place that represents the city and the country as a whole; during the French Revolution, a guillotine was erected for public decapitations. Half a century later, as the city became more commercially viable, the Stock Exchange was built and the city planners decided to enlarge the width of the road to its current 30 metres. Many of the current buildings date back to this time of the French Third Republic (1871-1940) when it was the cultural epicentre of Marseille, becoming known for dance halls, café culture and hotels.
The Canebière Still Represents The Hurly Burly Of Daily Life
After the war, the area fell into disrepute; the red light streets can still be found at the top end. During the 60s, the city installed huge tramlines through the centre of the street and metro stops were later added as the city pumped a lot of money back into the area.
Today, it’s the place where locals go to buy the latest football kit (the city’s much-loved football team has its flagship store here), where people head out to the cinema, where the homeless come to be fed from the early morning food trucks and where everyone holds a protest. Today, many of the buildings are being renovated and new cultural places are popping up. La Canebière is undergoing another resurgence as has so often been the case over past centuries.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.