French men have a certain reputation for being well groomed, very dapper, and ever so stylish. Those who want to make the grade in the South of France, here’s a guide on where to go to get a new hairstyle, relax the body and soul, and where to buy those accessories.
Body and soul
Marseille is well known for its African-French cultural mix and its a great idea to refresh in one of the many spas and hammams. Many of them are above board and cater exclusively to men on certain days of the week or during set times, and it’s very common for locals to use them.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In Marseille, head to the Bastide-des-Bains. In Aix-en-Provence, locals love the Hammam des Precheurs, which has a couple of relaxing massage rooms, where you can get scrubbed down in hot, soapy water and have a back massage. It has two eucalyptus-smelling hammam rooms and is open most of the week. Check the times for details.
La Bastide Des Bains, 19 Rue Sainte, Marseille, France, +33 04 91 33 39 13
Hammam des Precheurs, 10 Rue Félicien David, Aix-en-Provence, France, +33 04 42 24 11 11
The South of France has several barber shops that provide a full shave and grooming experience. Cooper’s Cut Shop in the centre of Aix describes itself as being the ‘best fucking cut shop’ and its cool demeanor, lively staff, and music make it a must visit for anyone looking for a reputed barber.
Cooper’s Cut Shop, 11 Rue Paul Bert, Aix-en-Provence, France, +33 04 42 23 19 16
Those looking for a cool hairdresser in Aix, Sculpt is the fashionable choice. The original branch is on Rue Paul Bert, but they’ve recently expanded to open another branch in Rue d’Italie. The music is loud, the hair on the cutting-edge of fashion and the staff friendly. They don’t take appointments, but the queues are normally manageable. In Marseille, head to Mavro Coiffure, where the atmosphere is friendly, chatty and more low-key.
Sculpt Coiffure, 11 Rue Paul Bert, Aix en Provence, France, +33 04 42 23 19 16
Sculpt Coiffure, 6 Rue d’Italie, Aix-en-Provence, France, +33 04 42 93 10 11
Look the part in the South of France. Those in search of stylish swimwear, one of the most reputed places for trunks and shorts is Vilebrequin. Remember, in the south of France, people have to wear speedo-type swimwear while in swimming pools (for hygiene reasons, they won’t let swimmers wear anything in the pool area that can be worn on the street).
After that, find something to wear for poolside lounging or hanging out at chic bars. Head to Blanc Bleu in St Tropez for maritime-inspired clothing. In Nice, head to Angle de la Mode (‘the angle of fashion’) for natty suits and prêt à porter fashion. Those who want to get kitted out with all the right clothes before arriving, order clothes online from Nice’s La Fabric Shop.
Blanc Bleu, 8 Avenue Foch, Saint-Tropez, France, +33 04 94 43 00 00
Angle de la Mode, 4 Rue Grimaldi, Nice, France, +33 04 97 08 38 82
Since the sun shines more than 300 days a year in the South of France, eye protection is a must. For sunglasses, the main chain is Solaris, which can be found across the region. And don’t forget Galéries Lafayette, France’s major department store for bags, sacks, glasses, and those essential French scarves that everyone wears. Those who want to peruse the latest accessories and fashions, head to the fancy mall at Les Terrasses du Port in Marseille and find the high street brands on the first floor and the designer stores on the second.
Solaris, 24 Avenue Jean Médecin, Nice, France, +33 04 93 80 77 80
Galeries Lafayette Nice, 6 Avenue Jean Médecin, Nice, France, +33 04 92 17 36 36
Les Terrasses du Port, 9 Quai du Lazaret, Marseille, France, +33 04 88 91 46 00
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.