The beaches, the designer shops, the chichi restaurants – Saint-Tropez is the height of French Riviera glamour. It’s also home to some of the country’s most indulgent hotels, where film stars, musicians and billionaires have long come to get their R&R. If you want to live it up like the rich and famous, treat yourself to a stay in one of the best boutique hotels in St-Tropez, bookable with Culture Trip.
An indoor-outdoor vibe pervades at Sezz Saint-Tropez, where huge bifold doors let you step from your creamy crescent sofa straight into the shimmering blue of your own private pool. The riviera sunshine pours in over neat “floating” beds – the whole place has a rather contemporary, minimalist look – and, in the spa, outdoor loungers let you work on your tan post-treatment. The Michelin-star restaurant, too, comes with generous amounts of outdoor seating, so you can feast on roasted langoustines under the stars.
For avid shoppers, this is a dangerous location: steps from St-Tropez’s central boutique cluster, featuring a parade of Gucci, Dior, Vuitton and Armani. Then again, you wouldn’t expect anything less of such a stylish hotel. Set in a pretty marigold-coloured building with just 12 rooms, it has an intimate vibe, so you’re never fighting to snag loungers by the pool or al fresco seats at the Italian restaurant, Dolceva. Beach life is an essential part of a St-Tropez stay, and this place has its own private stretch of sand, Jardin Tropézina.
If you’re going to do Saint-Tropez right, you really need to indulge – and that means a spa day. This stay on the outskirts of St-Tropez comes with all you need for pampering, from muscle-melting massages to a Himalayan salt chamber, herbal tea room and saunas. A magnificent 15m (50ft) outdoor swimming pool, glittering under the sun, joins an adults-only “zen area” with a hot tub, too. Rooms? Expect light and airy tones, with private terraces and, in some cases, your own private hot tub.
Keen to escape the hustle and bustle of the town centre? Make for this resort-style stay, the picture of Riviera chic with a tiled roof and tree-lined courtyards. Sip a bottle of rosé over an al fresco lunch of salade niçoise at the Beefbar, then check into your room – boho-chic with straw pendant lights, tiled floors and pops of burnt orange. There is a hammam on hand if you fancy sweating out impurities, or just take your place next to the pool, which happens to be one of the largest in St-Tropez.
Perched high above the city, St-Tropez’s citadel has views across the sparkling Mediterranean Sea. And, right nearby, so does Le Yaca. This restaurant with rooms channels old-world glamour with its monochrome checked floors, an intimate bar and wood-panelled walls. Dinner is, obviously, a must, and you’re advised to plump for the decadently cheesy pasta, flamed in a giant Parmesan wheel, or the black angus beef tagliata. On balmy summer evenings, ask for a table outside.
You’ll be in the thick of the action when you book in here, because neither the port, nor the shops and restaurants of downtown, are more than a stroll away. Saying that, as soon as you step into La Ponche, you’ll get a meditative vibe. Chill out in junior suites with sea views, over sun-soaked breakfasts on the terrace, or with aperitifs in the moody bar. A homelier pad than some of St-Tropez’s glitzier properties means morning yoga on the pontoon and a concise but excellent massage menu.
With its laid-back personality, staying La Bastide feels almost like a sleepover at friend’s house (albeit an excessively wealthy one). The marshmallow-pink building opens up into a lovely communal pool, lined with parasols, where gourmet barbecue lunches are served up and morning coffees are sipped. The restaurant, as with all Relais & Châteaux properties, is a highlight, so settle in for platefuls of seafood-stuffed pasta or creamy tiramisu, before bedding down in classically luxurious rooms or apartments.
Should you crave a budget-blowing stay right by the sea, then book yourself into Cheval Blanc St-Tropez. Rooms are a vision in white, with dramatic blue headboards, metallics, and – best of all – terraces looking out to yachts bobbing beyond. Crafted dinners are dished up in view of the water, too, while an infinity pool butts right up against the waves (and the hotel’s own private beach). The only thing not sea-facing? The exceptional Guerlain spa, complete with hammam.
This is a rewrite of an article originally by Alex Ledsom.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.