Complete with the amazing architecture of the Senate Square, delicious coffee in cute cafeterias, and, as always in Finland’s capital, real Nordic edginess, Helsinki’s Kauppatori is one of the town’s buzzing hearts. Here, we take a look at some of the must do and must see things close by and within its borders.
Visited yearly by more than 500,000 people, Helsinki Cathedral is a historically significant landmark of the Finnish capital. Located on the Senate Square and designed in the early 19th century by a German representative of Neoclassicism, Carl Ludwig Engel, who was also the designer of other buildings on the square, the Cathedral is a symbol of Helsinki itself and a highlight of the Empire Era Center of Helsinki. The great architecture impresses from the inside and outside, with one of the largest collections of zinc sculptures in the world placed on the roof and oodles of fascinating extras between its arches and alcoves. Many important events take place here too, such as the opening and closing services of the Parliament or the degree ceremonies of the University of Helsinki.
Helsinki Cathedral, Unionsgatan 29, Helsinki, Finland, +358 0 9 2340 6111
The Esplanade Park is a popular place to relax for locals and travelers, and also serves as a host of many popular events, like city jazz concerts, fashion shows, raising of the midsummer pole accompanied by folk dancing and more. Day-to-day, the park is full of street artists and people chilling in the cafes or restaurants, in the summer enjoying a picnic on the green areas surrounded by flowers, statues, and fountains; during the winter taking a stroll in a Christmas wonderland atmosphere with beautiful light decorations to boot.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In the Esplanade Park, there is a great restaurant that offers a wide choice of Finnish meals as well as other European cuisines. The name of the restaurant, Kappeli, is the Finnish word for Chapel, which perfectly describes the style of the building and its sublime atmosphere. Kappeli’s history reaches back to the mid-19th century, when it used to be a meeting place of the best Finnish artists. During the summer festivals and parties it is a perfect spot to observe the Espa Stage, directly in front of which the restaurant is located.
Kappeli, Eteläesplanadi 1, Helsinki, Finland, +358 10 322 9383
Old Market Hall
The recently renovated Old Market Hall was first opened in 1889 and is today a protected cultural heritage site of Helsinki. Visitors can find local and exported products like cheese, bread, fish, vegetables, spices and sweets on sale here, and also enjoy delicious cakes and strong Finnish coffee in one of the lovely cafes that pepper the area. On warm days, locals and tourists like to sit outside, in front of the Old Market Hall, and observe the cruise ships arriving into the shore.
Get the view from SkyWheel
Take a look at the most famous landmarks of Helsinki and the beautiful open sea with its peppering of islands more than 40 meters above the city’s buildings. One of the newest attractions of Helsinki, the SkyWheel gives visitors an opportunity to get a panoramic view over the Finnish capital in modern, comfortable and air-conditioned cabins. For approximately 15 minutes sightseers can gaze at the sights from one of 30 blue-and-white gondolas, enjoying, relaxing and surveying the Nordic scene.
Finnair Skywheel, Skatuddskajen 2, Helsinki, Finland, +358 40 4804604
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.