Finland is a winter wonderland in every way imaginable. It is home to not only Santa and reindeer but also to some of the most extreme winter sports in the world.
Everywhere from Helsinki to Lapland, you will find Finns taking advantage of their cold weather and thrill seekers coming from all over the globe for the perfect snow conditions. These are some of the most exhilarating and even unusual winter sports that you can try in Finland:
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Finland’s national sport is a great source of national pride with a huge amount of both professional and amateur teams and some of the world’s highest ranked players. It isn’t difficult to find an arena to watch an ice hockey game or a rink where you can try it yourself. Finnish players, even at the amateur level, take the game incredibly seriously so be prepared for some fierce competition.
The global ski community often forgets about Finland as it doesn’t have any major mountain ranges, but there are still many highly rated ski resorts. The Ruka ski resort is considered one of the best in the country due to its 200-day long snow season while Ylläs has a ski run of 3,000 meters, the longest in Europe.
This is not for the faint of heart, yet those seeking a strong adrenaline rush are highly encouraged to try ice swimming. Holes are dug into frozen lakes and seas throughout Finland for people to take a short dip. After the initial shock, it leaves a highly refreshed feeling, which is why some people in Lapland take a daily morning swim during the winter to start their day feeling invigorated.
Truly the best way to take in the Finnish landscapes is by dog sled. There are many ‘husky safari’ tours on offer throughout Lapland, lasting anywhere from a few hours to several days, as well as trips where you can learn to drive a sled yourself.
Hiking in the frozen wilderness is tempting, but walking on snow and ice is both difficult and a large strain on the leg muscles. The ancient Finns came up with a solution by adapting snowshoes, and they are still used by Lapland natives to travel across the frozen ground and by visitors to explore national parks during the winter.
A relatively new sport but one which is quickly catching on, with several ice karting centres now open. Ice karting is literally driving go-karts with specially studded tires on iced-over circuits. It adds an entirely new level to the sport, making it feel more like a rally drive.
It might sound like an insane idea to travel over a frozen lake or river, but it is an incredibly popular sport in Finland. The majority of lakes, especially in the North, reach such low temperatures and develop such thick ice that it becomes safe to cross them on skis or sledges. This is best done with a guide, however, to prevent the risk of falling through thin ice.
One of the most unusual but exciting winter sports, yukigassen originates from Japan and the name means ‘snow battle’. It is a snowball fight taken to extreme levels, sort of like a ‘capture the flag’ game but with snowballs. The European yukigassen championship is held annually in Kemijärvi, Finland, every year.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.