Helsinki isn’t what many people would consider a romantic city or a choice destination for a couple’s holiday. Yet the sights and atmosphere of the city are highly romantic at any time of year and there are plenty of bonding activities to suit any couple’s tastes. These are some of the best ways to enjoy and explore Helsinki with your significant other.
Take a boat cruise
By far the best and most romantic way to see Helsinki and its surroundings is by taking a boat cruise around its vast archipelago. You might have to dress warmly to prevent yourselves from becoming windswept, but you can take in lovely views of the city coastline and the Baltic Sea. There are numerous cruises leaving from Helsinki, some to transport visitors to the outbound islands such as Isosaari and others that spend the day touring the archipelago, usually with a meal included. Alternatively, you can hire your own boat to cruise the seas yourself, and perhaps even stay on a private island.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Go Christmas shopping
Helsinki is at its most romantic during the Christmas season when the decorations are up, the Christmas markets are being held and the entire city is in full festive mode. While the city is cold and dark during this time, you can still have a romantic time together seeing the Christmas lights, doing some shopping in the markets and warming up with a cup of glögi (Finnish mulled wine).
Have a spa day
To take the weight off your feet, book a day at one of Helsinki’s luxury spas, such as Löyly Sauna Complex, which is situated right on the Baltic Sea. You can spend the day away from the rush of the city, have some couple’s treatments, enjoy a quality dinner at the restaurants, and perhaps even take a swim in the ocean. No visit to a spa is complete without a trip to the Finnish sauna, which is even more comforting when done with your partner. If you book your sauna ahead of time, you can ensure that you have it all to yourselves.
Stay up with the midnight sun
Close to 24 hours of daylight in Helsinki during the summer can be disruptive to your sleep schedule, but you can beat it by using it as a chance for a romantic date. The extended hours of daylight mean you can extend your dates for the entire night; stay at the bars until they close, sit outside during the early hours of the morning and end with an early breakfast in a café.
Watch the sunset at a rooftop bar
During the months when you can actually make out the sunset in Helsinki, one of the best spots to watch it from is Ateljee rooftop bar in central Helsinki. From there, you can watch the sun setting over the city while enjoying some cocktails and admiring the artwork on the walls. It is the perfect way to begin an evening date.
Take a walk through Sibelius Park
For a romantic and relaxing walk in the park, you can’t get much better than Sibelius Park in Töölö, which has miles of paths to walk, lawns for picnics or ball games, beautiful ocean views and old ruins to discover. The Sibelius Monument in the middle of the park is a great place to sit and listen to the live musicians.
Ride the Skywheel
If you want to act out the old romantic image of a ride on a ferris wheel, you can do so at the Skywheel on Helsinki’s south harbour. Not only will you get some stunning views of the south side of the city, you can cuddle up together when it gets a little chilly at the top. Book your tickets in plenty of time to ride the Skywheel while the sun is setting over the city for an even more romantic view.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.