Touring the Helsinki archipelago by boat is a popular idea for a day trip in the Finnish capital and a great way to take in the city and its surroundings. In 2017, a former military island known as ‘Isosaari’ (which is literally Finnish for ‘big island’) opened to the public and is quickly becoming the hidden gem of the archipelago.
The dark history of Isosaari
The biggest draw to the island is its unique and fascinating military history. Even the winter ferry transporting visitors to the island is a re-purposed military vessel. Isosaari has been a military stronghold since the Russian era and saw its heaviest fighting against the British Navy during the Crimean War of 1854-56. The grave of a British soldier who died in the attack (supposedly the only casualty on the opposing side) is still located on the island.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In slightly more recent history, Isosaari played an incredibly grim role when it served as a prison and concentration camp during the Finnish Civil War of 1918, holding up to 1,500 prisoners from the pro-Russian red side – many of whom died there. A monument to the prisoners was erected on the island in 1955.
Despite still being owned by the Finnish army, Isosaari was almost entirely abandoned and became semi-derelict until recently when the state decided to turn it into a tourist destination, with regular ferry services leaving from Helsinki harbour. At first these tours only operated during the summertime, but they proved to be so popular during their first season that they have now been extended to the winter months as well.
In less than a year, the island has already become a covert spot for urban explorers, since much of it is still overgrown and the old military buildings are almost frozen in time. While some places are still off limits, you can still see the run-down bunkers, gun range, canteen, the torpedo test station, surveillance towers, and underground tunnels. The more you explore, the more secrets you can uncover.
But the island is also a relaxing spot for those looking to get out of the city for the day. There are lovely beaches with stunning views of the Baltic Sea and the Helsinki coastline, a restaurant, lots of wildlife, public saunas, fishing spots, a campsite, picnic spots, and even a golf course. The 40-minute boat trip to the island is also a great experience, passing by the Suomenlinna fortress and many other islands on the archipelago.
How to get there
The schedule for the ferry may change in the future if the island becomes more popular. Currently, the winter schedule lasts up until May Day and runs from 10am until 3pm on Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. During the summer, the ferry is more frequent and runs from 9:30am, but it is still recommended to book tickets in advance as they can sell out quickly. The island has a guest marina, so you can also get there via a private boat. On Mondays, the ferry is only available for golf cruises. The boats leave from the harbour just off the Market Square and adult tickets cost around €18 each.
Everything on the island can generally be seen in a single day and there are maps available from the restaurant. Whether you want a relaxing getaway or to learn more about Finnish history, Isosaari is definitely worth a day trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.