Finland’s groundbreaking basic income experiment testing the tangibility of universal basic income (UBI) for all citizens met an unexpected early end after a request for extra funding was rejected by the Finnish government. The trial will continue to run until January 2019, but it is now clear that the failed experiment will not be running after this date.
What is UBI?
Universal basic income is an idea that all citizens should receive a bare minimum payment from the government to cover basic living expenses such as food and housing, whether they are employed or not. The main intentions are to provide a safety net for all citizens so that they still have necessities even when unemployed, prevent homelessness and poverty and reduce anxiety and stress caused by money worries. This is considered especially important in the post-recession ‘gig’ economy, in which more jobs are short-term and less stable. It is also believed that it encourages the unemployed to devote more time to their families or contribute to the community and could reduce the rich/poor divide. Supporters of UBI include Nobel Prize-winning economist Angus Deaton, Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg and Richard Branson.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
UBI has received criticism as well, especially from the political right who are against the idea of giving away ‘free money’. A major criticism is that it does not require recipitants to actively seek out work while unemployed.
Why did Finland test UBI?
Despite being considered the happiest country in the world, at the time the experiment began Finland still had the highest unemployment rate in the Nordic countries at 9.2%. The Finnish social security department, known as Kela, decided to test UBI as a possible method of reducing unemployment and poverty.
The experiment began in January 2017 with the intention of lasting two years until 2019. Two thousand Finnish citizens claiming unemployment benefits were chosen at random to test the scheme, each receiving a monthly payment of €560, even if they found work during that time. Their lifestyles and career progression were monitored during this time to see how they were affected by the UBI payments.
Why did the experiment fail?
The results of the experiment will not be released until late 2019, so the real reasons for its failure will not be known until then. Considering that it came to an end after extra funding was rejected, it is most likely lack of money was the cause. It is estimated that rolling out UBI to the entire population would have increased taxes by 30%, in a country that already has a high tax rate.
The government will be using alternative schemes to re-structure their social security system and hopefully reduce poverty. The unemployed citizens who took part in the experiment will continue to receive their payments until its official end in January 2019 and will continue to be supported by Kela afterwards to monitor the long-term effects of UBI.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.