Finland is appearing on more and more people’s bucket lists as a place for outstanding wonders and unforgettable scenery. For nautical enthusiasts, sailing in Finland should definitely be on everyone’s bucket list. Here’s why.
Go on an adventure
You never know what you will encounter on a Finnish sailing holiday. One day you may be weaving between remote rocky outcrops and next thing you know you could be eating pancakes at a harbour cafe or watching a recreation of a Viking battle. Just about anything can happen while you’re sailing the Finnish waves.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Explore one of the world’s largest archipelagos
A particular bragging point of sailing the Turku archipelago, which stretches across the coast of south-west Finland, is that you can claim to have explored one of the largest archipelagos in the world, with over 20,000 individual islands and more being discovered all the time. That’s a huge number of islands to explore and more than you could possibly see in a single trip.
Sail one of Europe’s largest lakes
If on the other hand, you sail inland Finland, you should opt to explore Lake Saimaa, the fourth largest lake in Europe and the second largest in the European Union. The size of Lake Saimaa will leave you surprised while almost confusing it with an ocean. By sailing the lake and its surroundings, you can take in the local Karelian culture and if you’re lucky you may even spot a rare Saimaa ringed seal.
Stay on a private island
A popular but often unattainable bucket list item, staying on a private island is actually an incredibly popular summer pastime in Finland. There are thousands of summer cottages, or ‘mökki’ on their own islands across the south and west coasts of Finland that you can rent. All of them have their own docks so you can use your boat to get around, stop by the seaside towns, or visit the neighbours.
Discover abandoned sites
The Finnish archipelago is also becoming increasingly popular with urban explorers visiting the decommissioned Cold War military bases. Some of these island bases have since been turned into tourist traps with their own guest docks and visitor services. But others are still ripe for exploring for anyone willing to take their boat out.
Tackle the Baltic Sea waves
Surfers looking for something new will want to rent a board and wetsuit and take on the waves of the Baltic Sea. Even if you’ve never surfed before, it’s still a challenging but fun activity to try out and cross off your bucket list. The Baltic Sea is much colder than most well-known surfing spots, which is why you’ll need an insulated wetsuit, but the strong winds can whip up waves sure to satisfy any surfer.
Live the rustic life
Sailing in Finland isn’t for the luxury traveller, but for those who love simple, rustic living, it is perfect. You can catch your own fish and cook them on a campfire (most islands on the archipelago have their own fire pit), camp anywhere due to everyman’s rights, and relax while surrounded by nature.
Take in the scenery
Finland’s scenery, both inland and along the coast, can’t be beaten, and there is no better way to see it than on the water. You can sail by remote islands that are not usually visited by tourists or visit a historical site, such as Olavinlinna castle from Lake Saimaa.
See the entire country by water
With nearly 25 percent of the country being covered by water and over 3,000 kilometres of coastline, you’d be hard pressed to find a part of Finland which can’t be reached by water. A boat makes a great way to tour the cities, national parks, and summer festivals as the majority of them have their own guest harbour. The advantages of travelling by boat are that you don’t need to wait in lines, face travel delays, or stick only to the roads.
Watch the bird migration
During the twice-annual bird migration, hundreds of thousands of migratory birds gather to begin their journey south or return for the summer. Most of these birds take the coastline route, so a boat makes a great vantage point for bird watching or watching the migration pass overhead. September is the best time for viewing the migration and western Finland around the Oulu area is the most highly recommended spot for seeing some rare birds.
A sense of freedom
Whatever the reason you want to go sailing in Finland, it will give you a great sense of freedom. On a boat, you can travel practically anywhere in Finland and spend your day doing whatever you want. Everyman’s rights mean you can camp, cook, or explore anywhere in the country so long as you don’t disturb the natural landscape or invade private property. If calmness and personal freedom are what you want on your dream holiday, then sailing in Finland should definitely go on your bucket list.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.