Helsinki may be an expensive city to live in, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t still plenty of options for impressing a date when you are broke. Finland’s natural affinity for the simple and its love of the outdoors can work in your favour for affordable dating. Here are some of the top places to go and things to do in Helsinki when dating on a budget.
Stroll through Sibelius Park
There’s nothing more romantic than a simple walk in the park, and Sibelius Park in Töölö has plenty to offer. There are the stunningly landscaped gardens, open greens for picnics or games, cafés for a bite to eat, and live musicians at the Sibelius monument. And, for sporting enthusiasts, there are plenty of paths for jogging or cycling together.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Relax at the Kaisaniemi Botanic Garden
For something a little different try the botanical garden run by the University of Helsinki, where you can see a huge range of rare and exotic plants and flowers at any time of year. The rainforest room is particularly inviting on a cold winter’s day. The outdoor gardens are free for visitors and the regular ticket price for the glasshouses is 9€. However, entry is free every first Friday of the month from 2pm until 5pm.
Picnic under the Midnight Sun
Take advantage of Finland’s unique summer weather by going out for a late-night picnic in full daylight. In Helsinki, the Midnight Sun is visible until as late as 3am around midsummer. Any of Helsinki’s parks or open spaces provide a chance for a unique picnic date.
Take in some art and culture
Impress your date with your artistic appreciation and cultural knowledge at any one of Helsinki’s museums or galleries. You can find everything from classical art to architecture throughout the city. Most of the museums have reasonably high ticket prices, but you can cheat the system a little by checking their websites for free entry windows or deals. The National Museum, for example, has free entry on Fridays from 4pm until 6pm.
Have lunch at a market hall
For cheap meals, you can’t get much better than one of Helsinki’s three market halls, which provide locally sourced, inexpensive and organic food. Each one has at least one café or restaurant for a casual, low-budget meal. And, if you’re planning to cook a romantic meal together, the market hall is the perfect place to find quality ingredients. The one located on the South harbour is particularly good for finding the best fish in the city.
Escape to Pihlajasaari Island
There are many small islands just off-shore of Helsinki, but you’d need your own boat to reach most of them. One exception is Pihlajasaari Island, which is only ten minutes away from Helsinki (on a €6 ferry), yet feels a world away from the city. On Pihlajasaari you can relax at the beach, swim in the ocean, go camping or have some smoked fish from the local restaurant, which has its own smokery.
Have a drink at the library
Yes, there is a place in Helsinki where you can drink while browsing through library books! Sivukirjasto in the Kallio district is a combination of pub and library and serves over 100 types of beer. Not only is it a quirky spot for a date, it is also relaxing, and an ideal place to take someone who loves books.
Watch the stars at Kaivopuisto
The sky may be bright during the summer but during the winter months in Helsinki it is dark for up to 20 hours of the day. You can take advantage of this gloomy weather by going to the Ursa observatory in Kaivopuisto park, where for only 4€ guides will allow you to look through the huge telescope and see the moon, stars and planets.
Cycle along the shore line
One of the best ways to see Helsinki is by bike, and almost every road in the city has separate cycle paths. Taking a cycle tour along the coastline offers some beautifully romantic views. There are also plenty of cafés you can stop at for refreshments.
Walk to the top of Helsinki
Helsinki isn’t exactly known for its vantage points as almost all the city is entirely flat. One exception is the Malminkartano Hill, an artificial hill built on top of a former landfill. By climbing up the rainbow stairs (and admiring a public art project at the same time), you can take in the best view of the city, or go for a picnic, hike, or bike ride. In the winter, it is one of the best spots in the city for sledging.
Listen to some hipster poetry
The hipster bars and coffee shops in Kallio are known for being highly affordable and having a laid-back atmosphere. You can also have a cheap night out at an open mic night or poetry reading. And if your date is impressed by artists, why not show off by reading one of your own creations?
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.