Discover an unspoiled side of Denmark by visiting Funen, the country’s third biggest island that lies between Zealand and Jutland. Roam around the narrow streets of Funen’s old towns and let the cities narrate their past through Viking ships, Renaissance castles and historic harbours.
Being the smallest of Denmark’s three major islands, Funen is often overlooked by travellers who either visit during a one-day trip from Copenhagen or when passing by to get to Aarhus. While the scenery viewed from the highway might not be captivating (though not monotonous at all), once you get off the main route the real magic begins.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The beauty of Funen is in the old towns that are scattered around every corner of the island. Some of them are home to awe-inspiring castles and manors but even those that aren’t have their own beauty to showcase. It only takes a short walk around the narrow alleys to start imagining Vikings building their legendary ships and the harbours brimming with Scandinavian sailors and merchants.
In Odense, the most popular city on Fyn Island and the birthplace of Hans Christian Andersen, it’s difficult to resist the urge to trace the steps of the country’s most acclaimed author. Especially after visiting his old neighbourhood and rummaging through his personal belongings on display in his childhood home. This feeling is only enhanced after strolling around the city’s cobblestone streets filled with the colourful houses and blossoming flowers. However, despite Odense’s undeniable charm, it is not the only town worth visiting. The more time you devote exploring Funen the more you’ll fall in love with the island.
On the east coast of Funen Island lies Nyborg, one of Denmark’s oldest towns. The witness to the city’s great historical importance is the 12th century Nyborg Castle that still stands proudly in the middle of the city. Between 1183 and 1413 nobles, royals and barons held their meetings in the castle, which at the time was housed in the Danish court. As a result, the city of Nyborg was considered the capital of Denmark during this period. A walk along the city’s main street Slotsgade with Nyborg Castle in the background and Møllegraven canal on your side is the perfect way to introduce yourself to the city’s relaxing and peaceful atmosphere.
A 30-minute car-ride north of Nyborg takes you to Kerteminde, a place that tells the story of another era of Danish history – the Viking Era. The coastal town is home to the only ship grave in Denmark in which the King of Ladby was buried in around 925. The 1000-year-old ship still lies in the same exact location and is now part of The Viking Museum Ladby. However, as previously mentioned, the history of Funen does not only come alive in museum halls but also in the streets, and Bogense is proof.
Bogense is a city northwest of the island that used to be a market town and a vibrant trading centre for many centuries starting from 1288. At Bogense, you will find the 19th-century harbour, an 18th-century merchant’s house in Østergade and a half-timbered Erik Menveds Inn that happens to be the oldest inn on the island. These attractions alongside the market square, which has been welcoming customers since the Middle Ages, make the city look like a postcard from the past.
Finally, in the south of Funen lies Svendborg, a town that combines natural landscapes with sandy coasts and a vibrant, modern centre filled with craft shops, galleries and theatres. The city in which Bertolt Brecht spent several years of his exile during World War II still preserves its authentic atmosphere with its hidden courtyards squeezed among yellow roof-tiled houses. However, modern-day museums and boutiques continue to remind visitors why it’s called the capital of South Fynen.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.