After a few meetings between Vesterbro’s residents, architectures and businessmen back in 2004, new life was breathed into Sønder Boulevard. The roads were narrowed from two lanes into one so the strip in the middle of the street could be expanded to become one of the most vivid green city spaces in the Vesterbro quarter. The area is now one of Copenhagener’s favorite hangouts, especially during sunny days when it is packed with locals.
Sønder Boulevard’s green linear park
Start your exploration with a bike ride along Sønder Boulevard. You’ll discover many different sections including a playground for toddlers, a fenced ball field with artificial turf, and an asphalted bicycle motocross (BMX) track. Practice your skills at a ping pong table or mingle with locals at the basketball court. If sporting activity is not your thing, just choose the spot that you like the most and relax in the perennial gardens. It’s the perfect place for a picnic so make sure you have a bag filled with goodies or you can stop at one of the neighborhood’s grocery stores to get some supplies. For a faster and equally delicious solution, you can always grab a pizza from the nearby restaurant, Itzi Pitzi Pizza.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Itzi Pitzi Pizza, Sønder Boulevard 51, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 33 31 89 98
Once you feel you’ve soaked up enough sunshine, continue your exploration through this charming neighborhood. For art enthusiasts, Third Space, an exhibition gallery for contemporary art, is located just around the corner and displays the artworks of nationally and internationally renowned artists. For more art galleries walk a bit further down the street until you get to the Meatpacking District. There you’ll find Khora Virtual Reality where you can put on the special glasses and travel to virtual worlds.
Third Space, Skydebanegade 31, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 20 66 35 87
Khora Virtual Reality, Høkerboderne 8, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 31 16 91 81
Food and Drinks
The area is brimming with restaurants and cafés, so once the sun sets it’s easy to find somewhere nice to relax. Café Dyrehaven on number 72 and Mad & Kaffe on number 76 are among locals’ top choices. Taste the local smørrebrød or indulge in a delicacy from the international cuisine. For an early beer, Frementoren is the place to be as it offers 24 types of the Danes’ favorite drink. You’ll have to head a bit further down Sønder Boulevard (close to Halmtorvet square) to find it, but its welcoming atmosphere will reward you. If you like your drinks with a side of punk music, make a stop at Bodega 54, a warm bodega-bar with friendly bartenders and walls filled with Sex Pistols and St Pauli posters. For more options head to the Meatpacking District which is located just opposite of Bodega54 and 10 minutes walk from the beginning of Sønder Boulevard.
Mad & Kaffe, Sønder Boulevard 68, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 88 88 88 88
Fermentoren, Halmtorvet 29C, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 23 98 86 77
Bodega 54, Halmtorvet 54, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 33 31 65 27
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.