More often than not, picking the next travel destination becomes a dilemma of choosing cultural sites versus breathtaking landscapes. Luckily some places combine both, and Denmark’s West Jutland is one of them.
The imposing peninsula is separated by different regions: the North Jutlandic island, North Jutland, Northern Schleswig, and Southern Schleswig and Holstein which are part of Germany.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
When Aarhus was named the European Capital of Culture in 2017, Jutland took some of its glory as people became curious about the region where Denmark’s new hip city was located. It wasn’t long before the western part of the continental part of Denmark attracted travellers’ interest and gained its own admirers.
The landscape, which comprises heaths, plains, wetlands, forests and dunes, combined with unique natural phenomena such as the ‘Black Sun’ and historic cities such as Ribe, the oldest existent town in Denmark, creates a scenery filled with diversities.
With the North Sea touching the western part of Jutland, the coastline stretching from the north to the east features the country’s choppiest shores, a fact that hasn’t slipped out of extreme-water-sport enthusiasts’ radar. As a result, Klitmøller beach, whose weather conditions gave it the nickname ‘Cold Hawaii’, has become a popular meeting point for surfers from around the world. Surf schools and camps run throughout the whole year keeping the beach filled with beginners and professionals striving to tame the ocean.
However, you don’t have to feel the need to take your first steps in kite-surfing to visit Western Jutland’s beaches. As long as you always remember to follow the rules while swimming in the North Sea’s rough waters, beaches like Søndervig Beach, the blue flagged Nymindegab beach and Henne beach will satisfy your need for some relaxing moments of sunbathing on the white sand. And while coasts are certainly an asset for west Jutland’s acclaimed beauty, they are only a part of the whole.
Two of the most renowned national parks in Denmark are located in this part of Jutland. The Thy National Park, which spans in a natural area of 244 square kilometres (94 square miles), is home to 30 different species of birds and the Wadden Sea National Park. Here, visitors can go on an oyster safari while watching around 12 million migratory birds painting the sky on their way from or to Germany and Holland.
In the middle of the peninsula, the Sinding Plantation, located close to the city of Herning, offers thrill-seekers the opportunity to take a ride along a 4.6-kilometre (2.6 miles) mountain bike route. A bit up north, Klosterheden Woods in the town of Struer invites visitors to follow the routes by bike or explore the breathtaking surroundings on the back of a horse.
As you may have realised by now, West Jutland’s landscape is quite spectacular as it is. But when cultural elements are blended with nature the scenery becomes even more captivating.
On a dune 55 metres above sea level, at the westernmost point of Jutland and consequently Denmark’s stands Blåvand Lighthouse, a 39-metre (128-foot) lighthouse built in 1900. Visitors can follow a narrow staircase and climb up to the top, from where they can enjoy a spectacular view. Tirpitz Museum (Blåvand Bunker Museum), which opened its doors in June 2017, put Blåvand city on the map, attracting even more tourists.
The list with West Jutland’s attractions is long, so be sure to clear your calendar before hitting the trail.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.