Copenhagen may not be the first city that comes to mind when thinking about the ‘world’s most romantic cities‘ but it has so many hidden corners and places that are ideal for a perfect date. This list will unravel locals’ favorite spots for a romantic evening or date night.
Take a Long Bike Ride
Denmark has a strong bicycle culture. So strong, in fact, bikes are now causing a traffic problem in the center of Copenhagen. Do like the locals and move around on a bike. Explore the city and discover many places and hidden corners that otherwise could have missed. Take a break after finding an interesting part of town and revel in the scenery. Copenhagen is mostly flat, so it’s easy and fun.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Tip: Check out the weather forecast. If it’s windy, postpone bike riding for another day unless red-sweaty faces and wind-swept hair aren’t deal breakers.
Savor a Beer by the Lakes
At the western margin of the city center lie a row of three rectangular-artificial lakes which are divided into five basins. It’s one of the most beautiful parts of the city and therefore, locals head there for some moments of relaxation or in order to improve their jogging techniques. The lakes around the Dronning Louises Bro that connects the city center with the cool Nørrebro neighborhood is one of the city’s hippest hangouts and is usually packed on hot, sunny days. Those who prefer a more quiet place, just walk to the next basin that usually isn’t as crowded. Grab a bench right by the waterfront and share a beer with for a quick and easy date. The wandering swans are a nice touch to the already ideal-romantic scenery.
Have a Drink at the City’s Hippest Bodega
Those wanting to have some cheap drinks with their date, Esrom Kroen is the place to go. The cozy-wooden bar used to be a bodega, but it has recently been transformed into a stylish bar that serves cocktails and other drinks for low—for Denmark standards—prices. It still preserves the warm and authentic atmosphere of a Scandinavian bodega with its low lightning and smoky atmosphere; now, customers can indulge into tasty ice-chilled cocktails as well. It’s the city’s new trend and it’s located in the heart of Nørrebro and within walking distance from Superkilen Park.
Esrom Kroen, Esromgade 4B, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 20 61 56 39
Watch a Movie Under the Night Sky
Every year in the summer, Cinemateket, the Danish Film Institute, transforms the King’s Garden, one of the city’s most beautiful parks into an open-air cinema. Those visiting Copenhagen this time of the year, make sure to check out the dates and get the chance to watch a classic film under the stars. The entrance is for free so, grab a fellow cinephile, a picnic blanket, and a bottle of wine.
The King’s Garden, Øster Voldgade 4A, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 33 95 42 00
Take a Picnic by the Sea
Prefer a sea view to the city’s lakes and parks? Just take the metro and reach the Øresund Strait in approximately 20 minutes. Amager Strandpark is part of a two-kilometers-long (around 1.2-mile-long) artificial island that was created in 2005. Aside from a long beach, there’s also a grassy area, cycle paths, and an area for training activities. Locals there windsurf, kayak, skate, and even snorkel. Those who don’t feel like showing their physical skills, just grab some ice cream, sit back, and soak up some sun.
Amager Strandpark, Amager Strand Promenaden 1, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 26 30 24 83
Watch a Free Concert at Freetown Christiania
The best way to impress a music lover on a date is to attend a concert or a place with good live music. Fortunately, this is a low-budget activity in Freetown Christiania. The hippie district brims with music venues and bars. Some of them require a low entrance fee while others are for free. Check out Loppen, Nemoland, or Operaen for events and concerts dates. Jazz enthusiast who don’t mind being in a super smoky place, make sure to stop by Christiania Jazz Club.
Loppen, Sydområdet 4B, 1., Freetown Christiania, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 32 57 84 22
Grab an Inexpensive but Romantic Meal
Grab a bite on the cheap at Pizzeria la Fiorita. It offers authentic-Italian delicacies for affordable prices and is considered one of the best pizza places in Copenhagen. Unfortunately, it’s quite small, so sitting inside isn’t possible. It does, however, have a cute backyard ideal for a warm day.
Or try some traditional-Danish dishes at Det Lille Apotek (The Small Pharmacy). The cozy restaurant is the oldest in the city and consists of four separate low-ceilinged rooms. Rainy weather offers the chance to enjoy a meal under the candlelight.
Indulge in a Cocktail by the Canals
With its innovative decoration, Kayak Bar is an exotic oasis in the middle of the city. It is located near some of the most important historical buildings in Copenhagen and the canal. What makes this place so special and ideal for a summer date is its wooden platform filled with sand and beach chairs. Soft music comes from the speakers while experienced barmen serve frozen cocktails until midnight.
Kayak Bar, Børskaj 12, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 30 49 00 13
Relax Under the Parks’ Blossomed Trees
Luckily, Copenhagen has many green parks ideal for a picnic or a barbeque. The magnificent Frederiksberg Garden, the extensive Fælledparken, and the smaller charming Ørsteds Park all enable guests to enjoy a quiet place to relax away from the city’s noise.
Frederiksberg Garden, Frederiksberg Runddel, Frederiksberg, Denmark, +45 33 95 42 00
Ørsteds Park, Nørre Voldgade 1, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 33 66 33 66
Fælledparken, Edel Sauntes Allé, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 33 66 33 66
Walk Among Exotic Flowers
Add some culture activity to a date without worrying about museums‘ entrance fees by visiting Copenhagen’s Botanical Garden and roaming around a great variety of plants from all over the world. Its free admission offers a nice way to combine knowledge with entertainment without breaking the bank. After all, learning about the Bronze Age or seeing a mummy up close may be super interesting, but it may lack in the romance department.
Botanical Garden, Øster Farimagsgade 2C, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 35 32 22 22
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.