Though Nicosia may be small, the Cypriot ctiy is packed with venues, from traditional locales to brand-new cocktail bars. There’s dozens of options to choose from when you’re hitting the town, so we’ve narrowed down the best places to grab a drink in Nicosia, fitting every mood.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Patio Cocktail Bar
Walking into Patio, you are greeted by a beautiful staircase which complements the old, traditional architecture of this Nicosian house. To its right is a long bar which leads to a patio garden. The colourful window shutters that decorate the walls are the venue’s most impressive décor, adding to the bar’s tropical atmosphere. Plants and vibrant lighting set the mood for exotic cocktails, from their extravagant Dragon Kiss signature cocktail, to subtle twists on old favourites like the Patio Mojito. Accompany a cocktail with Mediterranean-influenced tapas, hot or cold dishes and then let the DJs decks lead the way.
Lost + Found Drinkery
If you can’t spot this tiny black bar, the crowds of people filling the pavement in front of it will be a sure sign. Locted on the corner of Lord Byron Street, Lost + Found was voted one of the world’s 50 best bars and has become quite the hotspot for young crowds with its vast array of drinks and nightly music selection.The bar’s diverse menu is divided into four categories: sweet, sour, sweet-sour and dry-sweet. L + F have just added seven new cocktails that will last until October/November, all featuring fresh ingredients that can be found within 50 metres the bar. This means that you’ll get to smell and taste the eucalyptus trees that surround the area, fig leaves and even prickly pears that have been transformed into unique cocktails. And the drinks are as beautiful as they are tasty – all served in bespoke glasses – unless you order a mojito, which comes in a simple cup. To counteract the alcohol, you can also order a bite to eat like their signature ham, cheese and truffle crepes.
Beer lovers: this is the place for you. This small red bar near the Ledras Street checkpoint in the Old Town is an old coffee shop craft brewery. Their unique selection of craft beer from around the world includes nine draft lines and dozens of imported bottles, and has won them Ratebeer.com’s prestigious Best Craft Beer Bar in Cyprus award 3 times in a row. Head there for a chilled night out; and if you’re not sure what to drink, the friendly staff will help pick something out for you.
Silver Star Wine Bar
Another popular after-work venue is this small wine bar that decorates the pavement with wine barrels for tables. Located in the town centre beside a handful of office buildings, many business people and other locals choose Silver Star to unwind with a fine bottle of wine. Choose from a hand-selected variety of local and foreign wines that have little to no additives, or try their gin cocktails for a faster kick. As the night falls, the crowd gets bigger and the music gets louder. With great attention to music, Silver Star invites local DJs to play alternative/indie, new wave, post punk, garage, and rock n roll music. And if you get peckish, grab a cheese and charcuterie platter from their sister delicatessen Kantina Deli next door.
Away from the bustling vibe of Old Nicosia, this bar is almost secret as it’s located in an residential area beside Pedieos River. From the outside, no one can tell it’s a bar due to its simplicity, but indoors is another story. Newly-refurbished, the venue’s bar area features copper-coloured tiles, and serves up bespoke gin combinations – the perfect way to cool down on a hot summer’s day. Sit inside and observe the art pieces or grab a table in Granazi’s jasmine-scented garden, and order a bite from their night food menu to pair with your drink. Fridays and Saturdays are the busiest days at the bar, with DJs playing a variety of music. If you’re lucky you might even catch a live gig, as Granazi hosts artists on a regular basis. With a creative and rustic atmosphere and a funky drinks menu, Granazi is a stunning spot to enjoy a cocktail after work, before the night-time madness begins.
Tucked away in an alley in Old Nicosia, just off the busy Onasagorou Street, you’ll find Plato’s Bar. This venue doesn’t need to make a lot of noise to maintain its status in Nicosia’s bar scene, as those who know it always make their way back. Open for an impressive 31 years, its interior is enriched by its cozy fireplaces for chilly nights, and is complemented by a beer garden for the Cypriot summer evenings. Plato’s has a selection of 150 beers and ciders and an even larger display of whiskies – 300 to be exact. The Jack Daniel’s Plato’s Selected Single Barrel is a must-try, which you can accompany with one of their huge burgers. For a more relaxing environment, visit this locale on a Sunday or a Monday, as weekends tend to be busy.
Vino Cultura Wine Bar
“Great wines and great food at reasonable prices” is a phrase this wine and tapas bar lives by as they have a variety of wines and dishes made from raw ingredients. Vino Cultura believes that wine isn’t only for drink lovers, and that pairing it with the right food is key. That’s why their staff are trained on food and wine monthly to guarantee the best experience. Popular during weekdays as well, it’s best to go early (happy hour is from 6pm – 8pm) or reserve a table if you’re tasting their delicious tapas. The halloumi croquettes and the ravioli with chicken and mushroom are a must.
For a more chilled environment, head to one of Nicosia’s favourite gardens just a five-minute walk from Lost + Found. New Division is a bar housed in an old, beautiful home with a stunning garden filled with plants – and three cozy bars. The low lighting gives it a calm feel, but when the DJ turns up the music be ready for a dance party inside. Live bands occasionally play there too, though generally it is a relaxing place to grab a drink and chat with friends. It’s been around for decades: generations of people have spent time hanging out at New Division, and it’s usually full during the weekends. It attracts people from all walks of life, ages and cultural backgrounds and everyone is usually friendly, so it’s easy to make friends here.
Another beloved city garden is that of Babylon, a bar that’s hidden away behind plants in a quiet street in central Nicosia. Established in 1993, the bar has attracted dedicated fans who appreciate its large selection of beers and tasty burgers. The building is also an old house, so you can sit inside among vintage beer adverts or cool down in its large garden with picnic tables and benches. And if there’s a match on, sports fans can enjoy it on a projector screen in the garden which can fit nearly 200 people. Babylon gives the all-time classic feel of a pub in Nicosia.
Palaia Pineza Bar
Located in the old part of Nicosia, in an industrial neighbourhood where lots of metal workers have their garages, Palaia Pineza is housed in an old metal shop. Right on the Green Line, it was created to keep the area alive after it was abandoned in 1974 due to the war. It is one of the liveliest bars you’ll find – don’t be surprised if the party lasts until the late hours. Pineza, as the locals call it, has cocktails for all tastes with unusual ingredients such as yoghurt. To find a table, go early (around 9pm), though later in the evening people spread out onto the road as few cars pass by there. Their annual birthday party in May and their Street Party (this year on September 30) turn into massive parties with food trucks and drinks, and hundreds of people lining the street.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.