If you have planned to spend a few days in Burgas, don’t miss the chance to explore the surrounding area. From salt lakes and ancient Thracian tombs to wineries and an island that used to be a pirate hideout, here are the best day trips from Burgas, Bulgaria.
Burgas is the second largest city along the Bulgarian Black Sea coast and a magnet for sun seekers in the summer. Except for the other beach towns, the region often remains underrated by foreign visitors because its attractions are mainly known to the locals.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Atanasovsko Lake is home to more than 300 bird species and also doubles as a natural outdoor spa. You can relax in the shallow pools of pinkish lye and cake yourself in a mud mask. The mud has curative properties, which you can apply to your skin for 10 to 15 minutes at a time. Afterwards, wash off at the small nearby beach and enjoy the sun while listening to the sounds of nature. Everything is free and accessible by car or by bike from the city of Burgas.
DiVes Estate Winery
How about a wine tour and a tasting of Bulgarian wines with a view of the seashore? A short 30-minute drive from Burgas will take you to DiVes Estate Winery. The winery was built on a hill believed to be a strategic battle point of one of the most cherished Bulgarian kings, Simeon the Great, which makes the tours even more special.
If you are a history buff, head to the nearby UNESCO-listed town of Nessebar. Take a tour of the archaeological museum for the historical and cultural context before you start exploring. Then stroll along the historical Revival-period houses in Nessebar’s Old Town. Don’t leave before taking a photo with the Windmill – the symbol of the town standing on the bridge connecting the Old and the New Towns.
Sozopol is another small town along the Bulgarian Black Sea coast that has a perfect combination of beautiful sandy beaches, thousands of years of history, and nightlife that continues until sunrise. Its Old Town comprises almost 200 historical houses through which you can explore Bulgarian history. In the summer, the town hosts one of the country’s biggest cultural festivals: Apollonia.
Saint Anastasia Island
Saint Anastasia island has had a unique combination of roles through the centuries, including a monastery, a prison, and a pirate hideout. Saint Anastasia is small, and the two hours you have after the arrival of the ferry until it departs again is enough to explore it in its entirety. There’s a café where you can sip your coffee at a small wooden bar on the edge of a tiny cliff, and a small museum that tells the stories of the island’s dark past. If you want to stay longer, you can spend the night in one of the several rooms of the island’s hotel.
The Antique Beehive Tomb in Pomorie
The Antique Beehive Tomb in the town of Pomorie is one of the most impressive Thracian tombs in Bulgaria. This tomb is particularly interesting because it features a unique interior in which the mushroom-shaped center column naturally fuses into the ceiling. Archaeologists believe that the tomb was used as a family mausoleum and for special ceremonies.
When you’ve exhausted your day trip opportunities, it’s time for a ‘night’ trip. Burgas is a big city with many beach bars and nightlife options, but even locals head to Sunny Beach when they are craving a wild night of partying. This is probably the most (in)famous spot along the Bulgarian Black Sea coast, with options running the gamut from Irish pubs and beach bars to nightclubs blasting all kinds of music (mainly EDM and the local favorite chalga music). But be forewarned, it is not the place for a quiet family vacation.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.