Nestled in a valley and surrounded by mountains that were once home to the 1984 Winter Olympics, the Bosnian capital Sarajevo boasts a sublime setting and boutique hotels, all bookable with Culture Trip.
Sarajevo is perfect for a weekend break or even a relaxing week-long holiday, given the wealth of cultural attractions that the city has to offer. Highlights include Gazi Husrev-beg Mosque, the Latin Bridge, the Kovači Memorial Cemetery, and the Pijaca Markale, one of the city’s biggest local bazaars. The metropolis has an excellent range of hotels catering towards visitors looking for modern luxury or traditional comfort. Here are some of our suggestions for the best boutique hotels in the city.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This charming property in the old district of Sarajevo features six individually designed rooms, with interiors crafted by local designers and artists. Despite the traditional influences, the place has a hip feel, with exposed brick walls and naked light bulbs. This place makes for an authentic place to explore the surrounding area, where you’ll find a hotchpotch of galleries, designer boutiques, restaurants, clubs and cafés. Start your day with a spread of Bosnian treats at the onsite restaurant, Čaršija.
Hotel Sana is a superb place to stay if you’re craving a little modernity while exploring Sarajevo’s old town. There are 17 rooms and one apartment, and all have slick and functional interiors, with bold pops of blue being a running theme. Rates include breakfast in the lobby restaurant and, if you want to escape the bustle of the city, the outdoor terrace on the first floor is a welcome retreat.
If you still want to sample the delights of Sarajevo, but not be in the thick of things, escape to the Heritage Hotel Krone which is framed by greenery in the town of Ilidža. This halal-certified boutique hotel is housed in a century-old Austro-Hungarian villa. Despite its historic facade, the rooms are modern, with a bold use of colour used throughout, from hot pink armchairs to lime green beds. Couples particularly rate this hotel, along with its spa to retreat to after a day of sightseeing.
Delve into some true culinary history with a stay at the family-run Hotel Aziza in the Baščaršija part of Sarajevo old town. This special venue began life in 1923 as a bakery owned by Muharem Poričanin, and the same family still runs it today. Despite the history, the rooms are fresh and modern with plenty of space to play with. The hotel overlooks the Kovači district, with the Vratnik Gates, the Ottoman-era Saburina House and the Museum Alija Izetbegović (named after Bosnia-Herzegovina’s first president) on the doorstep.
When it comes to cutting-edge architectural design, Pino Nature Hotel does a splendid job. This striking property in the countryside just outside of Sarajevo, features natural colours and triangular roof designs so it blends in with the verdant landscape. Rooms all have their own character; some are named after animals, so you can drift to sleep in Rabbit or Wolf. This is a fantastic place for outdoor types, with a mountainous landscape on its doorstep. To indulge after a day of exploring, the hotel has a spa and a restaurant serving traditional Bosnian specialities and international classics.
Jonny Blair contributed additional reporting to this article.
For more great hotel options, check out our pick of the best boutique hotels in Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina, bookable on Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.