In terms of quality of life, Etterbeek is probably one of the best districts in Brussels. It has elegant nineteenth-century houses, the Parc Cinquantenaire with its green space and a view over the whole city, not to mention plenty of restaurants to suit all types of budgets. Whether you are a thrifty student or civil servant from the nearby European Quarter, you’ll find a wide selection of restaurants near the busy Place Jourdan. Here are 10 of the best dining establishments in Etterbeek.
This Franco-Belgian chain that specializes in pizza al taglio (by the slice) has now reached Place Jourdan. Mamma Roma serves squares of thick but light – almost focaccia-like – dough topped with combinations such as mozzarella, potato and truffle sauce, broccoli and spicy sausage, feta, olives and onion. There’s also tiramisu and authentic Italian coffee. Slices are sold by weight, but the set lunch menu is an especially good value. On a fine day you can take your pizza to eat in the nearby Parc Léopold.
Address: Mamma Roma, 37 Place Jourdan, 1040 Etterbeek, Brussels, +32 2 6406940
Paradis du Liban
An excellent choice if you fancy a break from Belgian food, Paradis du Liban boasts a long and authentic Lebanese menu. Most diners order a plate of mixed mezze from the vast choice of hot and cold starters – the falafels are recommended – and then choose a meat dish like mutton chops, lamb koftas or barbecued quail from the grill.
Address: Paradis du Liban, Avenue de Tervuren 7, 1040 Etterbeek, Brussels, +32 2 73378 88
Regularly said to be the home of the best pizza in Etterbeek, if not all Brussels, Pizza Liloo offers a real taste of Italy. Its wood-fired oven matches an understated wood and brick interior, and among the pizzas you’ll find old favorites but also more unusual options for toppings like goat’s cheese, courgettes and truffle oil.
Address: Pizza Liloo, Chaussé de Wavre 580, 1040 Etterbeek, Brussels, +32 2 2651863
Au Cor de Chasse
This family-run Brazilian Portuguese establishment attracts high praise for its regularly changing menus, which are based on the fresh produce available each day – and there are only five tables, so reservations are advisable. Seafood, including bacalao (dried salted cod), and friendly service are its specialties, and if you have room for a dessert don’t miss the pasteis de nata, which are tasty Portuguese custard tarts.
Address: Au Cor de Chasse, Avenue des Casernes 21, 1040 Etterbeek, Brussels, +32 2 3085725
La Porte de Bengale
Indian food in Brussels doesn’t always live up to expectations, especially for lovers of extra-hot curries, but at the ever-popular and reasonably priced La Porte de Bengale, you’ll probably find your favorite dish, whether it’s a mild korma, a chili-packed vindaloo, or something in between. Prawns and kebabs cooked in the tandoor oven are also available, as well as a decent range of vegetarian dishes.
Address: La Porte de Bengale, Avenue d’Auderghem 276, 1040 Etterbeek, Brussels, +32 4 86390228
In a quiet street off Place Jourdan, Stirwen offers an elegant fine dining experience. This is more a ‘special treat’ venue than a place for a quick lunch, as its menu offers a selection of oysters, foie gras, and the restaurant’s signature dish lièvre à la royale (a legendary French creation of hare stuffed with its own entrails, pork, and bacon). Stirwen prides itself on its use of seasonal, traceable produce and ability to combine tradition and innovation in the kitchen.
Address: Chaussée St-Pierre 15-17, 1040 Etterbeek, Brussels, +32 26408541
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.