Austria is an architourist’s dream. When you’re not marvelling at gilded palaces, you’re trying to make sense of a modern creation that looks like an alien. A tour of great Austrian architecture almost always includes your hotel, especially if you book these gems on Culture Trip.
From baroque masterpieces like Salzburg Cathedral and Belvedere Palace in Vienna, to the modern Friendly Alien that is the Kunsthaus Graz, no country does architecture quite like Austria. Small wonder, then, that its hotels always seem to offer something a bit special when it comes to design – both inside and out. Whether it’s a glistening exterior, natural thermal water running through taps or an oval chaise longue window, when you travel through Austria, the building you stay in is part of the adventure. Here’s where you should stay, including some of the finest historic guesthouses, designer gems and boutique hotels in Austria.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Hotel Gasthof Hirschen Schwarzenberg is as much an art museum as it is accommodation in one of prettiest villages in the Bregenzerwald. Each of the rooms in the 18th-century Henchen – one of two buildings – are dedicated to an artist whose works are part of the family collection or have made a big impact on the hotel or Schwarzenberg. While the Henchen is filled with antique furniture, its sister structure, Wälderhaus, is more modern – but equally inviting.
A ski and wellness hotel in the centre of mountain village Lech, Hotel Arlberg makes hitting the slopes a doddle. The local ski school is on the hotel’s doorstep, while its boot room connects with the town’s local ski and rental shop. If swishing down a mountainside isn’t your bag, there’s the Arlberg Spa that, with its natural wood and Alpine granite interior, taps into the dramatic surrounding landscape.
Architecture lovers rejoice. Not only is Do & Co located in the unique Haas Haus, designed by Pritzker-Prize winning architect Hans Hollein, but it’s across the way from the gothic St Stephen’s Cathedral – famous for its four towers, the tallest of which is 136m (446ft) high. In addition to being an architectural marvel, the glistening, curvaceous Do & Co is also the perfect viewing platform to take in the Cathedral and Stephansplatz, thanks to floor-to-ceiling windows.
An eco-friendly hotel in the Ziller Valley, DasPostHotel has spectacular views of the Alps and interior decor by Harald Margreiter that’s brilliantly barmy. In a combination of traditional and kitsch, log cabin walls sit next to bright floral wallpapers and headboards, green mosaic glass bathrooms and painted vintage furniture. In the kitchen, chef Marcus Duchardt serves up high-quality Austrian cuisine including a “bio-vital” breakfast.
In what is the latest chapter in a 600-year history, the Blaue Gans has been turned into one of the best boutique hotels in Salzburg. As you’d expect from accommodation in the Museum and Art Scene District, opposite the Festival Hall, there are creative touches wherever you look. Owner Andreas Gfrerer has assembled 120 artworks that are scattered throughout the house, including an automated rabbit that dances to Black Magic Woman.
A hideaway that looks out over the spa town of Bad Gastein, Hotel Miramonte will make you feel relaxed even before you dive into its dizzying array of treatments. Chakra balancing and fusion stone massages, detoxifying hay and herb wraps and yoga lessons with mountain scenery are all part of the lineup. So devoted is Hotel Miramonte to wellness, the natural thermal water that Bad Gastein is known for is available on tap.
Located in Bizau in the gorgeous Bregenz Forest, Biohotel Schwanen is a rambler’s heaven. Nearly 50 hiking routes featuring Alpine scenery surround the property, including the barefoot hiking trail at the Bizauer Moos Moor. Walkers staying at the hotel are fuelled by grub at restaurant SWAN, where Antonia Moosbrugger and her wilde weiber (wild women) create dishes inspired by mystic Hildegard von Bingen.
Owned by the same family since 1956, this boutique hotel in Austria manages to be a quiet bolthole despite its location right on the extremely busy Stephansplatz in central Vienna. Triple-glazed windows mean that the noise is well and truly kept out – even the bells of the nearby St Stephen’s Cathedral. Thanks to the hotel’s central location, a lot of major sights are a stroll away, including Mozart’s House and the Vienna State Opera.
The 700-year-old Hotel Goldgasse has a thing for opera. Each room here features a large-format scene dedicated to a performance of the Salzburg Festival. The decor is meant to convey the atmosphere of a private residence, although you would be hard-pressed to match the copper egg-pod chair in reception with anything from Ikea. As befits an Austrian boutique hotel that puts a song in your heart, it’s located within walking distance from Mozart’s Birthplace.
For some unique things to do, discover our guide to the most beautiful castles in Austria.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.