‘European Capital of Culture’ in 2003 and ‘City of Design’ in 2009, Graz is Austria’s second-largest city, often snubbed by tourists in favour of Vienna. Not only is it one of the best preserved historical areas in Europe, filled with lavish institutions and exciting new attractions, but it also has a lesser-known arty side that is well worth exploring. We list the coolest and most interesting neighbourhoods in this charming city, many of which surround the architecturally magnificent Kunsthaus – the futuristic art gallery known affectionately by locals as ‘the friendly alien‘ due to its eccentric design.
Located in the North of the city, Lendplatz is an area bursting with energy and cultural gems. The vibrant, eye-catching flower markets, restaurants, bars and cafes, entice students and Graz’s younger population to its streets, with many new venues opening up to keep the neighbourhood fresh. Uruguayan restaurant Chivito is a great pick for both food and drink, serving generously sized burgers, packed with flavour, and cocktails with a kick. Veggie visitors should head to Mangolds, a restaurant that charges by the weight of the plate or head inside the belly of the ‘friendly alien’ to the Kunsthaus Cafe, which serves tasty suppers for all.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It’s difficult to get away with visiting Graz without taking a peak inside the architecturally intriguing Kunsthaus, which dominates the area like a crash-landed UFO. Commissioned to celebrate the city’s period as the European ‘Capital of Culture’ and designed by British architects Peter Cook and Colin Fournier, this singular structure has 1,066 acrylic elements in its ‘skin,’ and is a distinctive part of the city, and the area in particular. The Kunsthaus exhibits Austrian and international contemporary art shows, and the views from inside the building are truly spectacular.
The 5th district of Graz, Griesplatz, is one of the city’s most multicultural neighbourhoods, comprising Bosnian, Serbian, Slovenian, Turkish and Albanian communities. During the summer, it sees many street festivals and markets pop up, filling the area with young energy and music from around the world. Grieskram is one example of this – an art, culture and cuisine festival that aims to create fun within the community.
Geidorf, also known as the third district, is the location of the main university of the city, meaning that lots of student-friendly businesses are always popping up. One landmark that’s worth visiting is the Geidorf Kunstkino, the area’s art house cinema. It is also home to the Botanical Gardens, which is beautiful for summer strolls. If looking for a place to sit and have a drink in Geidorf, head to Cafe Harrach – a casual, charming cafe/bar on Harrachgasse. Geidorf is also home to one of Graz’s most special annual events, the festival of light and sound (Klanglicht), a magical spectacle that sees countless stunning installations by local and international artists installed in the area.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.