Behind the Museum’s Quarter and beneath the glare of the Flak tower-turned Aquarium, lives one of Vienna’s most happening neighbourhoods, which was once ranked among the 15 coolest in Europe. A multicultural community, affordable housing and an abundance of galleries and cultural hidden gems make the Mariahilf neighbourhood a hit with the young and creative. Turn your back on the tediously tourist-ridden high street of the Mariahilferstrasse, and duck between the backstreets to uncover this district’s offerings.
Markets and eating out
Hipsters get hungry too. Luckily, the Mariahilf neighbourhood is home to some of the best restaurants in town. Mama Liu & Sons, on Gumpendorfstrasse – a long stretch with many popular bars and cafes – is a no-nonsense Asian eatery with a modern attitude to cooking and a minimal decor. Another winner is Kuishimbo, a dressed down joint offering authentic Japanese cuisine.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Alternatively, partake in a little hustling at The Naschmarkt, Mariahilf’s sprawling market with 16th-century origins, and pick up some thrift gear and gastronomic organic treats. Containing over 120 stalls, the Naschmarkt sells everything from antiques to avacados. And if you are suffering from shopping-related exhaustion and in need of a caffeine injection, then pop by Café Drechsler, a coffee house fusing new and old Viennese styles, for a pick me up.
Visiting all the big name galleries such as those in the Museumsquartier, is often considered to be a no-brainer by tourists wanting to experience Vienna’s cultural side. However, uncovering emerging artists in modest settings can be a far more inspiring experience. Smaller, independent galleries, who have helped turn Mariahilf into a cultural hub, are great for avoiding crowds and discovering new names. A few to check out include Rabbit Eye Movement, Galerie Legner, and Galerie Nathalie Halgand.
The Semperdepot, an impressive Neo-Renaissance style building in Lehargasse, is where the Academy Of Fine Arts hold all their large, end of term exhibitions. Their openings, taking place at various times throughout the year, always promise to be an exciting and inspiring evening, so be sure to take a look if you happen to be in town.
Founded in the 1980s, Club Titanic is an old school discotheque where Vienna’s young and cool gather when the sun goes down. Those susceptible to bouts of claustrophobia should avoid it, but fans of techno and dancing until reality returns should climb aboard.
If you are seeking a quiet cocktail devoid of thumping tunes, consider Cafe Phil and If Dogs Run Free – or drop by both as they’re practically neighbours.The 6th district is also lucky enough to be the home to one of the city’s best arthouse cinemas, Top Kino, a small independent two screen cinema with glitzy camp interior and a decent bar. It’s an absolute must visit for all Millennial film buffs.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.