Austria’s scenic countryside and mountainous landscapes make for some beautiful wanderings. Here is a guide to some of the top destinations around the country for a ramble.
Vacating in Austria doesn’t necessarily have to lead you to Vienna. Although the capital is not to be missed, some of the country’s rural holiday destinations offer awe-inspiring hikes, with some well-established routes. From challenging Alpine climbs and epic hills to lush national parks, there are trails of every level to suit everyone. There are also many rewards to reap when you reach the peak of the mountain or the end of the trail; wonderfully cosy inns offering culinary delights and quaint accommodation for those brave enough to attempt long-distance hikes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Vast open spaces, bursting with vitality and crystal clear lakes enveloped by jagged mountainous landscapes – Austria’s national parks are a hiker’s paradise. There are seven to choose from, all beckoning with tranquil, pastoral natural beauty. From Burgenland Seewinkle, with its salt-water ponds and lush meadows, to the fast flowing rivers of the Gesaeuse park in Styria; these gorgeous spaces are perfect for escaping to embark on some lengthy hiking adventures.
Tirol, Salzburg, and Carinthia all contain a proportion of the largest national park in Central Europe; Hohe Tauern, a melting pot of organic treasures, including tremendous waterfalls and gorgeous woodlands in which to immerse yourself. It is advised to start your adventure in this magnificent space at the Mittersill centre and then work your way up with a park ranger who can guide you through the Alpine glory. There are a few different options routes to explore, of varying abilities.
This aptly named trail rewards you with a spectacular panoramic bird’s eye view from the peak, making the long trek to the top worth the struggle. Named as such for the walk representing an eagle spreading its wings over Tyrol, this challenging 413-kilometer trail is divided into 33 stages, with a total ascent of nearly 31,000 metres. This is a once in a lifetime experience that will allow you to see Austria’s most spectacular side. Former hikers of the Eagle’s Walk have documented their experiences in the Eagle Hike Tour Book – available at the receptions of Arlberg Hospiz Hotel in St. Christoph am Arlberg (North Tirol) and at the Lucknerhaus hut (East Tirol) for anyone to contribute to.
Hiking doesn’t necessarily have to be a summer, daytime activity. For a truly memorable and magical experience, why not try a torchlight trails – an adventure, usually of short distance, through thick blankets of snow, and with the comforting thought of a generous serving of warming Gluhwein awaiting you at the end.
Westendorf, located in Tyrol, is a resort that offers the opportunity for a torchlit procession – with many other winter sports activities on offer, such as snowboarding, ice skating, tobogganing and, of course, skiing.
Choosing a suitable walking resort can be tricky as there are countless incredible options, all with their individual highlights. Innsbruck, the capital of Tyrol, is a popular destination for keen hikers as it contains both city sites and gorgeous rural landscape, such as the Pine Tree Trail, a gentle four-mile ramble that takes you across a nature reserve. Alternatively, for resorts that submerge you (somewhat) into the heart of the wilderness, Seefeld is a great option – an area full of gorgeously scenic sites.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.