Tucked away in Austria’s embrace, the lesser-known city of Graz exudes a captivating charm that few can resist. Beyond the spotlight of its more famous counterparts, Graz stands proudly with a treasure trove of delights waiting to be discovered. From historical landmarks to vibrant cultural hubs, this picturesque city offers an array of top destinations that promise to captivate every traveler’s heart. Join us as we unveil the best of Graz, where the lesser-known beauty shines through, and the allure of its hidden gems beckons with an enchanting allure. Prepare to be delighted as we explore the splendor that Graz has to offer, a city deserving of every traveler’s admiration.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Nicknamed “the friendly alien” by locals due to its exceedingly unusual external appearance, this structure is not just an architectural masterpiece, but Graz’s finest modern art gallery.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The stairs of reconciliation
This double spiral staircase is a rare phenomenon, and one of few in the world, is slightly baffling to behold.
Designed by American artist Vito Acconci during celebrations of the city being named European Capital of Culture in 2003, this peculiar landmark, known by locals as the Murinsel (“Mur island”), is not, in fact, an island, but a floating platform in the center of the river.
Schlossberg, Am Schlossberg 1, 8010 Graz
A UNESCO World Heritage Site, this historic gem is one of the city’s most popular tourist attractions, boasting impressive grounds, magnificently designed staterooms, and a wealth of history to uncover.
Graz Botanic Gardens
This unusual greenhouse contains an extraordinary wealth of plants, with varieties from all over the world.
Wandering through these gardens, located just outside Graz, you will find twisted metal and surrealist shapes of lurid color emerging from the ordinary landscape. Marrying nature and art harmoniously, the Austrian Sculpture Park makes for a wonderfully dreamlike day out, and will introduce you to the work of some of Austria’s most prominent modern artists, including Fritz Wotruba and Franz West, Erwin Wurm, Heimo Zobernig, and Michael Kienze.
This is an artfully designed restaurant with roots dating back to 1910. The menu focuses on traditional Styrian cuisine.
Catch some of the finest views of the city from the veranda of this stylish restaurant.
This is Graz’s oldest functioning bakery. In imperial times, the Hofbäckerei Edegger-Tax supplied the Hofburg family with their bread.
This is a homely and friendly bar serving delicious brunches and a wide range of cocktails.
Buna is one of the best venues in the city in which to get your caffeine fix. They are passionate about their craft, serving delicious coffee made with beans roasted in Graz.
The Parkhouse offers a monthly music program, with live concerts in the summer months and DJ sets in the restaurant during the winter.
This gourmet venue has an exquisite menu, featuring both Austrian and international specialties.
A traditional café where you can try all the famed Austrian pastries and cakes from Sachertorte to Apple Strudel.
Mix with the locals at this charming market, where you will find an incredible range of locally produced fruit and vegetables.
This Neo-Baroque-style opera house witnessed many early performances of Mozart’s music. Check their program for upcoming events here.
The Neue Galerie
Opened in 2011, this modern art gallery has gone on to become a powerhouse in Graz’s cultural scene, with an impressive collection featuring work from renowned contemporary artists.
Located in “the rumbling belly of the alien,” this trendy café is the perfect place to grab a coffee after a day’s sightseeing.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.