Vienna takes Christmas seriously, with Advent markets popping up all over town and people merrily drinking glühwein in the shadow of some of the city’s most recognisable monuments. Whether you plan to experience the Austrian capital’s famous musical heritage or shop for artisanal Christmas gifts, these are the best things to do in Vienna during the holidays.
Vienna is said to have one of the longest-running Christmas markets in the world, the Altwiener Christkindlmarkt on Freyung square, and the tradition has grown and grown over time. Wander round Vienna in the run-up to Christmas and you’ll find that seemingly every square is filled with wooden stalls selling warming drinks, maroni (roasted chestnuts), Christmassy food, handmade Christmas tree decorations, handcrafted toys and more. But it’s not just the Advent markets that make Vienna well worth a visit at Christmas; the city sets up ice-skating rinks and hosts popular festive concerts that give an insight into the city’s impressive musical offering, while the streets themselves are decorated with festive light displays, making simply wandering the city a great way to get into the seasonal spirit.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Museumsquartier is one of Vienna’s great marvels – the area is packed with world-leading art galleries and museums. And each Christmas, the sizeable courtyard between the sites transforms to host an extravaganza of events. The atmospheric square hosts live concerts and DJs, as well as light shows, under a winter canopy. There are also copious amounts of specialty punch served at the event to keep visitors merry and warm. Events take place each year from December 9-23.
The beautiful Wiener Konzerthaus (Vienna Concert House), with its gilded ceiling, hanging chandeliers, and red and gold details, is a fantastic setting for any concert, but at Christmas it’s particularly special. Each December, the concert house draws acclaimed opera singers for its Christmas in Vienna concert, which has been running since 1992. Previous performers have included Plácido Domingo, José Carreras and Luciano Pavarotti.
Ice skating is very popular in Vienna in wintertime, and there are ice rinks set up across the city during the winter months. One of the most spectacular is in the gardens of the Wilhelminenberg Palace and in front of the Rathaus. Around 3,000-metres-squared of skating trails are laid in the area, meaning this isn’t your average pop-up open-air rink. Pre-heated ice skates are available for hire and there’s a practice area that can be used for free until 4pm on weekdays, while later in the evening the area transforms into curling lanes. From mid-January, the rink is expanded, and it stays open until well into the new year, usually closing in late March.
Vienna’s City Hall towers over the Rathausplatz, where a troop of statues surround the square itself. And below lies the biggest Christmas market in Vienna, and boasts over 100 market stalls, selling all manner of goods, from artisan handicrafts to stuffed toys, handmade woollen santas, traditional tree decorations, homemade candles, ceramics and more, all topped by an impressive display of lights and a huge Christmas tree. There are also live performances from choirs and bands.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.