Choosing your dates carefully could save hundreds on the cost of your holiday. Using data that Booking.com compiled in 2017 we’ve worked out the best value-for-money destinations from January to December. Here’s our guide to bucket list trips that won’t break the bank.
January is the most affordable month to visit Copenhagen, when flights and accommodation were 41% less than the most expensive month of the year. This Scandinavian capital is a must-visit for cosy cafés, chic boutiques and award-winning restaurants.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Not only are the days longest during February, but visiting this South American capital was 16% more affordable than the most expensive month of the year. Explore the colourful streets of El Caminito, go market hopping in San Telmo and try tango dancing for starters.
Avoid peak season while still enjoying warm weather during March, as Kuta was 33% more affordable than the most expensive month of the year. Reconnect with your wild side at the Tegenungan waterfall, ride the waves at Kuta Beach and watch the sunrise from Mount Batur.
Enjoy Zurich for less, as the Swiss capital was 15% more affordable than the most expensive month of the year. Check out the cool boutiques at Viadukt, take a cruise on Lake Zurich and explore the FIFA World Football Museum for a flavour of this cosmopolitan city.
The weather in May is pleasant, and Melbourne was 22% more affordable than the most expensive month of the year. Take in the views from the 88th floor of Eureka Tower (Australian’s second tallest building), check out the artworks in the National Gallery of Victoria and explore the Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne’s urban jungle.
Chiang Mai, Thailand
The weather at the start of the off-season is hot and unpredictable, but Chiang Mai was 26% more affordable than the most expensive month of the year. Explore Doi Inthanon National Park, volunteer at the Elephant Nature Park and make your own souvenirs at the Bo Sang Handicraft Centre.
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Visiting Abu Dhabi was 46% more affordable in July than the most expensive month of the year. Visit the stunning Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, spend the money you’ve saved on afternoon tea at the Emirates Palace, and soak up the sunshine on Corniche Beach.
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
August in Rio was 40% more affordable than the most expensive month of the year. Take the train up Corcovado mountain to visit Christ the Redeemer and enjoy stunning views over the city, check out the Museum of Tomorrow and watch the sunset at Arpoador.
Mexico City, Mexico
September in Mexico City was 46% more affordable than the most expensive month of the year. Head to Mexico City’s iconic cultural centre the Museo del Palacio de Bellas Artes, enjoy sundowners at the Miralto bar, and visit Casa Azul, the former residence of renowned artist Frida Kahlo.
Auckland, New Zealand
October in Auckland was 16% more affordable than the most expensive month of the year. Visit the Auckland Art Gallery, the biggest art display in all New Zealand and free to enter, go kayaking along the coast and, if you’re a true adrenaline junkie, bungee jump off the Sky Tower.
Athens is perfect for an Autumnal escape and 31% more affordable than the most expensive month of the year. Take a plunge in the Vouliagmeni Lake – hot springs that stay a balmy 24 degrees all year round – check out the views from Mount Hymettus, and explore Piraeus town to the south.
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
December in Amsterdam was 35% more affordable than the most expensive month of the year. Explore the picturesque Jordaan neighbourhood, visit the workplace and residence of renowned artist Rembrandt, and browse the boutiques and cafés in Negen Straatjes.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.