The relative proximity to one another of countries in Europe means that a sailing holiday can be a great way to explore different regions and cultures. Whether you’re looking to plan a long week, or have a little more time on your hands, we’ve partnered with Intrepid Travel to show you where to head for a European sailing holiday.
The Greek Cyclades Islands
If the idea of island hopping has always appealed, the Cyclades islands in Greece are certainly worth visiting. There are over 200 islands in the Cyclades, of which the biggest and most well known are Mykonos, Naxos and picture-perfect Santorini with its stunning whitewashed houses. These Greek islands are steeped in ancient history and there will be plenty of opportunities to brush up on your mythology along the way. However, there’s also a more modern side waiting to be discovered, with trendy beach bars and late-night clubs drawing international crowds to Mykonos.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The French Riviera
One of the most classic and historic sailing routes, the French Riviera remains one of the most popular places to set sail for those who have a taste for luxury and high-end travel. The ports of Cannes, Monaco and Saint-Tropez continue to attract the world’s rich and famous, so you can expect to be sharing the waters with some of the world’s largest super-yachts. On land, enjoy the grand casinos and top-end restaurants, but don’t forget to take a moment to relax and soak up the Provençal way of life, rich in art and culture.
The Amalfi Coast
With its sheer cliffs, rugged coastline and cobalt-blue waters, the Amalfi coast is like something out of a movie – and indeed, you probably have seen it on the big screen countless times. But it’s not just the film directors who have fallen for the Amalfi Coast’s charm, as UNESCO have awarded its unique landscapes World Heritage Status. Admire the pastel-hued houses of Amalfi, Procida or Positano before heading inland to sample the local fare, which is rich in both meat and seafood dishes. History fans should leave time for exploring the ancient city of Pompeii, famous for being buried under tons of volcanic ash.
The Dalmatian Coast
In recent years, Croatia’s Dalmatian Coast has developed a reputation for its jaw-dropping scenery, charming old port towns and glamorous nightlife. So much so that it has been nicknamed ‘the next Riviera’ by those who have discovered what was until not too long ago one of the Mediterranean’s best-kept secrets. Dubrovnik‘s World Heritage Site walled city is also rich in Gothic and baroque palaces. Hvar has both a historic old town and vibrant nightlife that attracts luxury yacht owners and the local glitterati. Along the way, make sure to explore Mljet, Korcula or Vis for lush natural parks, historic monuments and centuries-old vineyards and olive groves.
Sardinia and Corsica
Corsica and Sardinia may belong to France and Italy respectively, but the first thing that will strike you about both these islands is their unique culture and character. Between the two, the Maddalena Archipelago is a group of some seven main islands notable for their rich wildlife and crystalline waters ideal for snorkelling. To the north, Bonifacio appears as if it’s about to drop into the water as it perches on sheer cliffs dangling above the sea. Explore its historic monuments, fishing and leisure ports, its fantastic beaches and of course its traditional restaurants for some typical Corsican cuisine.
The Balearic Islands
Located off the east coast of mainland Spain, the Balearic Islands are synonymous with the laid-back Mediterranean lifestyle. If Ibiza has got a reputation for crazy parties and mega-clubs, there’s also a more historic, relaxed side to the island waiting to be explored in Ibiza town, while just south of there, Formentera is renowned for its white-sand beaches, shallow turquoise waters and secluded coves, perfect for smaller boats.
The Turquoise Coast
Also known as the Turkish Riviera, the Turquoise Coast is located to the southwest of Turkey, around the provinces of Muğla and Antalya. The coast is mostly surrounded by epic mountain ranges which have helped preserve the relatively undeveloped nature of the area. Yet the Turquoise Coast is steeped in history, with important archaeological sites such as the Mausoleum of Maussollos and the Temple of Artemis contributing to their appeal. The rugged cliffs alternate with tranquil inlets and sandy beaches, offering plenty of options for hiking as well as sunbathing when on land.
For more coastal adventures, check out Intrepid Travel.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.