More of us are choosing to spend our holidays on weekend city breaks; it’s hard to resist the temptation to book a quick weekend getaway and explore some of the incredible sights, cuisine and culture on offer just a short flight away. You can now fly to over 150 destinations direct from London Stansted Airport, and getting there via Stansted Express – with trains from central London taking 47 minutes – has never been easier. Here we’ve selected some of our favourite city breaks from across Europe.
Prague, Czech Republic
The Czech capital is the perfect weekend getaway. Explore the Jewish Quarter, Prague Castle and St. Vitus Cathedral. Visit the famous John Lennon Wall and enjoy a beer in one of Prague’s famous gardens before exploring the incredible nightlife the city has to offer. Flights take approximately two hours and 15 minutes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Denmark’s second-largest city is just as vibrant as Copenhagen. Home to one of the world’s most beautiful universities, there’s also a theme park in the city centre and enough museums and galleries to satisfy your inner culture vulture – not to mention all the delicious Danish pastry you can get your hands on. Flights take approximately one hour and 40 minutes.
Now has never been a better time to visit Poland’s unofficial capital of culture. Not only is Kraków beautiful, there’s also a lot more going on that you might think. Head to Kazimierz for beatnik bars and cool cafés, and to the Old Town, a UNESCO World Heritage Site for a romantic stroll. Flights take approximately three hours and 40 minutes.
The Northern Italian city that gave the world Parmigiano cheese and prosciutto crudo is a foodie’s paradise. Even the most inconspicuous trattoria will leave you speechless, and if you can tear yourself away from the table, there are plenty of sites to discover, including the spectacular Teatro Regio opera house. Flights take approximately one hour and 15 minutes.
Zagreb is a great place to start if you’ve never been to Croatia. It’s quirky and cosy and has something for everyone. Take a stroll through Maksimir Park or visit the Museum of Broken Relationships – dedicated to unrequited love. Flights take approximately three hours and 35 minutes.
There’s almost too much to pack into one weekend but you can try! Romania’s capital is home to the world’s heaviest building, a reproduction of Dracula’s Transylvanian Castle and Europe’s largest urban beach. It is also one of Europe’s literary and artistic centres, with museums and galleries aplenty. Flights take approximately three hours and 10 minutes.
Moldova’s laid back capital has some beautiful public parks to explore, including Stefan cel Mare (The Park of Lovers), Valea Morilor and Dandrarium Park. This small, beguiling city was once home to exiled poet Alexander Pushkin; his former residence has become one of Chișinău’s many museums. Flights take approximately two hours and 50 minutes.
Bulgaria’s second city is purpose-built for summer. Visit the cobblestone streets of the Old Town and explore the street markets and boutique shops in fashionable Kapana. Head to Tsar Simeon Garden at night to watch the singing fountains in action. Flights take approximately three hours and 20 minutes.
The Greek capital is a vibrant mix of cultures and perfect for history lovers. Head to Syntagma for the changing of the guards and the Acropolis for unparalleled views over the capital. There’s also the Athenian Trilogy (National Library, National University of Athens and the Academy of Athens) to tick off your list. Flights take approximately three hours and 50 minutes.
Lithuania’s second city is a coveted getaway spot, and was recently voted European Capital of Culture for 2022. Take a stroll along Laisves Avenue for shops and traditional Nordic restaurants, and visit the city’s old town for stunning religious architecture, including Pazaislis Monastery and the Cathedral Basilica. Flights take approximately two hours and 30 minutes.
This city has seen a lot of action over the last century. The first shots of the Second World War were fired here and Gdansk also played a crucial role in the fall of the Soviet empire – which you can learn more about at the European Solidarity Centre. Take a walk down Royal Way in the Old Town and visit St. Dominic’s Fair during August for shopping. Flights take approximately two hours and 25 minutes.
Explore Lisbon’s incredible street art from one of the bright yellow trams that rattle through the city. Visit the neigbourhoods of Martim Moniz and Mouraria for great food and live music. Don’t forget to go and see the Jerónimos Monastery and Livraria Bertrand – the oldest bookstore in the world. Flights take approximately two hours and 30 minutes.
Montenegro’s capital is a nature lover’s paradise. Visit Njegošev Park in the city centre and Forest Park Zlatica – popular with amateur sportspeople. There’s also Podgorica’s wine region to explore, including Cemovsko Field and Radevic Estate. Flights take approximately four hours and 20 minutes.
This city in Northern Germany is fast emerging as one of Europe’s must-visit destinations. Check out the markets at Flohschanze and Marktzeit, and the alternative Sternschanze quarter. Hamburg is also home to Europe’s largest Japanese Garden and the Elbphilharmonie – a groundbreaking philharmonic hall on the river. Flights take approximately one hour and 40 minutes.
This city in Southern France became famous during the mid-1800s and has been a popular religious pilgrimage ever since. Explore the religious architecture and take part in a nightly candlelit procession through the streets. Climb the Holy Stairs and hike to the Château Fort for views over the Pyrenees. Flights take approximately one hour and 30 minutes.
Stansted Express runs between Liverpool Street, Tottenham Hale and London Stansted Airport, with trains departing every 15 minutes and direct connectivity to the London Underground. For more information on train times and to book your tickets, visit Stanstedexpress.com.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.