If you have a long weekend to spend in Panama, there is much to see in a three-day window of time. Lucky for you, Panama is not terribly huge, so it is totally doable to see a whole lot in just a few days. Here is a list of the best things to see and do in Panama if you only have 72 hours.
Have a cup of Panamanian coffee
This is an absolute must if you are a coffee person. Panamanian coffee of the Geisha variety is extremely special and expensive, so be sure to enjoy every sip of the cherished elixir. This is the perfect way to start your day, and it just might convince you to move to Panama because this cup of coffee is that smooth, rich, powerful, and magical—it is a perfect cup of joe.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Visit the Metropolitan Park
Panama is the only place in the world that has a jungle within the city limits. Take a quick hike through the gorgeous Metropolitan Park for a beautiful view of the city. The various hike options are rated by time, so you don’t have to spend all day there, though it is so beautiful that you might want to anyway.
Walk the Cinta Costera
Best saved for around sunset or early in the day to catch the sunrise, the Cinta Costera is an incredible sight to see. Quite possibly the most gorgeous seaside walk in Panama City is the majestic Cinta Costera, and it is completely free. The Cinta Costera also runs along the ever-trendy, upscale Avenida Balboa, so if you’ve worked up an appetite, walk over for a bite to eat on a balcony overlooking the city.
Best enjoyed after the sun goes down, Casco Viejo packs a big historical punch of Panama’s beginning, too. Explore it with a guide to fully understand all that it hides in the walls with incredible remains and anecdotes of Panama from centuries ago. Along with it being a history-rich slice of Panama, it is also known for its epic nightlife.
Walk through the wonderful Biomuseo
An incredible, interactive museum dedicated to the evolution of biodiversity as we know it, this Frank Gehry-designed museum is a spectacle not to be missed. Dedicate a morning or afternoon to exploring its many, wonder-filled exhibits, and learn a thing or two about how the world came to be all that it is today. It is fascinating.
Spend a day at the beach
Taboga Island is a quick, inexpensive ferry ride from Panama City, making it most easy to access for a day trip to the beach. Lots of young travelers and Panamanians love to spend their weekends at the beach on Taboga Island, especially in the dry season. Two words: beach party. Don’t miss the opportunity to revel in the bliss of Taboga Island.
Visit the famous Panama Canal
A visit to Panama City is not complete with a visit to the famous Miraflores Locks at the Panama Canal. Luckily, this is located very close to Clayton. Watch as the Panama Canal feeds into the Pacific Ocean, with the opening directly in front of the Miraflores Locks for viewers to watch in awe as the Canal works its wonders.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.