Honduran gastronomy is largely influenced by the cuisines of other Central American countries along with ancient Mayan food culture, with grilled meat standing out as a popular favorite. In this guide, we explore ten of the best restaurants in Honduras, focusing on the country’s top three cultural destinations: the capital city Tegucigalpa, the historical site of Copan and the tropical paradise island of Roatan.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Two large totem-like statues representing ancient Indian figures welcome the hungry to Tegucigalpa’s El Patio. Established in 1977, El Patio is one of the best-known restaurants in Honduras, noted for the great food and lively atmosphere. Delicious appetizers are served on top of the traditional anafres, clay pots containing hot coal. But El Patio’s claim to fame comes in the form of lip-smacking meat skewers and steaks, grilled on coal, as per local Honduran traditions.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hacienda Real, in Tegucigalpa, housed in a splendid, rural establishment with stone walls, wood furnishings and terracotta floors, is a renowned restaurant where some of Honduras’ best steaks and seafood can be tasted. Hacienda Real’s brand is so successful that the restaurant has branches in Guatemala, El Salvador and Panama as well.
Rojo, Verde y Ajo
Rojo, Verde y Ajo (Red, Green and Garlic) is an Italian-influenced restaurant in Tegucigalpa. The kitchen serves many Italian specialties, most notably a range of pastas, but the tropical soul of Honduras haunts the menu as well, in the avocado, pear and pinenut carpaccio; the beef medallions with jalapeño sauce; or the yucca-stuffed breaded shrimp. As if the great food weren’t enough, Rojo, Verde y Ajo often hosts live music events, and generally has a cool vibe which attracts Honduras’ most glamorous clientele.
Hacienda San Lucas
Not far away from the Maya Ruins of Copan, a UNESCO World Heritage site, is Hacienda San Lucas, a property sprawling over 300 acres of land in a striking natural setting. Hacienda San Lucas has been pioneering sustainable ecotourism in Honduras since 2000. In addition to offering lodging, the hacienda takes pride in its miracle-making kitchen, expertly run by Doña Flavia, where courses inspired by traditional Maya cuisine are lovingly prepared. Maize, squash and beans, the founding elements of Mayan gastronomy, are used as the base for most dishes. Many preparations involve a wood fire hearth as the Maya believed that smoke carries the spirit of what is burnt to the gods.
Hacienda San Lucas, Copan Ruinas, Copan, Honduras, +504 2651 4495
Twisted Tanya’s is a quirky and colorful restaurant located on the first floor of a Copan building, and overlooks part of the city’s Mayan ruins from the outdoor terrace. One of the things that attract customers to Twisted Tanya’s is the fresh and seasonal produce used in the kitchen. These give rise to a number of favorites, including roasted chicken quesadillas (a corn tortilla), filet mignon in jalapeño sauce, and cheese ravioli served with sautéed vegetables. But Twisted Tanya’s is also a great bar serving drinks and cocktails, boasting a friendly and lively atmosphere that make it a fail-safe choice for a fun night out in Copan.
Sundowner’s is what you’d hope for from a bar in a tropical location, Honduras’ beautiful island of Roatan. The bar is situated right on the fine beach, in a structure that is half-way between a hut and a gazebo, surrounded by lush palm trees and only a few meters away from the crystal-clear sea. It comes as no surprise that this beach bar is a favorite among young tourists and locals alike, and the ideal place to enjoy the Honduran sunset, as the name aptly suggests. But Sundowner’s is also an excellent choice to spend the night on the beach, maybe around a bonfire, while enjoying a cocktail. Tip for the hungry: the burgers here are delicious.
La Sirena de Camp Bay
La Sirena de Camp Bay’s striking venue, literally surrounded by the island’s turquoise sea, provides a postcard location which alone would be a good enough reason to stop by. But, as it turns out, La Sirena de Camp Bay also surprises with a fantastic fish-based cuisine, complementing the tropical ambiance with a meal just as delightful and superlative. The restaurant’s specialties include fresh lobster, lion fish and prawns. Customers should not leave this treasure trove before having a go at the strong local rum.
Reaching Earth Mama’s in western Honduras’ feels like stepping into a parallel dimension. This little gem of a restaurant is surrounded by rich vegetation in a secluded garden area, a refreshing, charming location. Earth Mama’s is the ideal place to have the hearty breakfasts so beloved by Hondurans, with burritos, for instance, or some huevos rancheros, a traditional Mexican recipe in which the eggs are served with corn tortilla and tomato sauce. The food is best accompanied by freshly squeezed orange juice or one of the fruit smoothies which are popular with the locals. A local musician with a guitar will play tropical tunes while customers take in the slow rhythms typical of island life.
Frangipani Boutique Restaurant
For a palate-pleasing meal after hours spent bathing in the sun on the sandy beaches of Roatan, head to the island’s northern coast and take a table at the Frangipani Boutique Restaurant, part of the Mayoka Lodge hotel. Frangipani delights its customers with wonderful local and international dishes; the restaurant boasts a rich range of sushi plates, rolls in particular. Frangipani’s location, moreover, is jaw-dropping, with breath-taking views over Roatan’s pristine vegetation below and, in the distance, its splendid sea.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.