Nosara, on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica, has a well-deserved reputation for being an eco- and health-conscious beach community. For years, it has drawn yogis, surfers and nature enthusiasts from around the world. Some come for a week, some keep coming back and some just never leave. Here’s our insider’s guide.
You can now visit Costa Rica with Culture Trip by joining our specially curated nine-day Costa Rica tour, led by our local insider.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Where to stay
Many people pitch themselves in the surfing hotspot of Playa Guiones. And while there’s plenty of places to stay here, ranging from hostels and budget-friendly hotels to boutique resorts and luxury property rentals, two, in particular, embody what Playa Guiones is all about: the Harmony Hotel and Bodhi Tree Yoga Resort.
The Harmony Hotel is the ideal spot for those looking to relax, rejuvenate, reflect and take care of their minds and bodies through yoga, healthy food and spa treatments. If you’re looking to get on the sand or in the surf, it’s perfectly situated just steps from the beach (just take the private path). The food served in the restaurant and juice bar is all locally and sustainably sourced and beyond delicious. In addition, there are multiple yoga classes offered daily in the beautiful open-air shala and an impressive selection of spa treatments.
Bodhi Tree is a green, boutique resort that offers the best of everything Nosara, including yoga, pilates, spa treatments, healthy dining options, fresh juices and divinely comfortable, modern accommodation. There are also surf camps and yoga retreats throughout the year. It also has an incredible boutique where you can pick up accessories, bikinis, yoga wear and other yogi- and beach-related items.
Where to eat
While there are dozens of dining options dotted around the Nosara area, the Beach Dog Cafe and Rosi’s Soda Tica offer budget-friendly, home-made, fresh and delicious food. Both have the kind of cuisine that makes your belly smile and will give you energy for yoga, surfing, long beach walks or just soaking in the Nosara lifestyle.
Beach Dog Cafe has a delicious assortment of fresh smoothies, home-made pastries and bread, burritos, wraps, sandwiches with in-house roasted meats, and cold refreshments and snacks that are just perfect for a midday recharge. It’s also one of the cheapest places to eat in Playa Guiones, with the quality of the food far exceeding the price.
Rosi’s Soda Tica is a traditional Costa Rica soda that serves some of the best local dishes in town. Each meal is prepared to order and tastes like it was made with love. There is not one bad thing on the menu. Rosi whips up tasty cascados (banana pancakes) and other home-cooked creations. Make sure you try the special dressing she provides on each table; it goes with everything. Rosi’s is definitely a local favorite and a place you most likely will want to eat at more than once.
What to do
Walk your way to wellness
The main beach in Playa Guiones is 2mi (3km) long. At low tide, the sand is perfectly packed in and ideal for taking a long stroll. Walking is an excellent way to exercise as it helps to improve coordination and balance, strengthens your bones and muscles, burns a surprising number of calories and promotes a happy mood. It’s a beautiful beach and, since there are no buildings on the beachfront, feels secluded. The immense size allows everyone personal space. To the north of the main beach is Playa Pelada, which has a lot of tidal pools that are lovely for dipping in during the heat of the day.
Step out for a surf
Playa Guiones is well known for its year-round waves, with lefts and rights up and down the beach. It is a great beginner spot but can also hold some big swells, which makes it excellent if you’re a more experienced surfer. As a visitor, remember to always respect the local people and the rules and etiquette of surfing. If you don’t know what those are, it’s a good idea to take a surf lesson. There are lots of great instructors and schools in Playa Guiones to get you started on shredding those Nosara waves.
Spend time with nature
The Nosara Biological Reserve is home to 270 animal species, including monkeys, armadillos, bats, iguanas and many types of birds. It’s also full of mangroves, Guanacaste trees, hibiscus, Panama trees and cedar trees, just to name a few. A two-hour, guided nature tour is available through the Lagarta Lodge. There are also several hiking trails through the reserve that you can take at your leisure. The number of visitors is limited in order to minimize the human impact on this precious and thriving ecosystem.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.