The province of Guanacaste is located in the northwest Pacific region of Costa Rica. It is well known for its alluring beaches, advanced and beginner surf breaks, tropical dry forests, cowboy/farmer culture, high end resorts, and impressive selection of adventure and nature tours and activities. There are so many activities that the entire family can enjoy. All of the following tours will give you the opportunity to experience the dazzling beauty and immense biodiversity of this picturesque province.
Diamante Eco Adventure Park
The Diamante Eco Adventure Park is a one-stop adventure destination. Here you can choose to partake in an exciting selection of activities and tours, even combining multiple activities to create your own customized adventure-packed day. You can choose to go zip lining, ATVing, hiking, snorkeling, stand-up paddle boarding, ocean kayaking, or horseback riding. There are also botanical gardens and an animal sanctuary.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
One Day Pass at Guachipelin
There are two types of day passes at Guachipelin, an adventure pass and a nature pass. Guachipelin is a beautiful lodge and adventure center up by Rincon de la Vieja National Park. An adventure day pass includes a canyon canopy tour, Rio Negro tubing adventure, horseback riding, and Rio Negro hot springs and volcanic mud bath. The nature pass includes access to the butterfly gardens, serpentarium, frog exhibit, trip to a waterfall at Rio Negro, a hike to a beautiful look out point, and the Rio Negro hot springs and volcanic mud bath.
Pura Adventura Adventure
Pura Adventura is a beautiful hacienda that offers guests horseback riding tours, mountain biking trails, and an 11 cable canopy zip lining tour that also includes a swinging bridge and an exhilarating rappelling opportunity. All of this on a 150 year horse and cattle farm that is also home to both primary and secondary forest, six rivers, tree lined pastures, several natural springs, and two waterfalls.
Palo Verde Boat Safari
A boat safari tour is the best way to explore the wetlands and Tempisque River in the Palo Verde National Park. This rich and lively ecosystem is home to an astonishing number of both terrestrial and aquatic birds, crocodiles, caimans, giant iguanas, howler monkeys, white-faced capuchin monkeys, and a number of other incredible animals that are native to Costa Rica. Your tour will include a professional and highly knowledgeable guide who will be able to share with you the history of the park, the land and the native plant and animals species.
Barra Honda Cave Tour
Barra Honda National Park is home to an intricate and exquisite underground cave system. The immense limestone caverns are decorated with ancient stalagmites and stalactites. Only 19 of Barra Honda’s 42 caves have been explored. Barra Honda National Park is a relatively flat mesa with hills that rise between 300-450 meters above the Tempisque valley. The caves are the real draw of this national park though.
Miravalles Crater and Waterfall Tour
Most people tend to visit the Tenorio Volcano and the Rio Celeste waterfall when they are in Guanacaste. For this reason, the Miravalles crater and waterfall are almost like little secrets or hidden gems. On this tour, you will have the opportunity to see the active crater, boiling mud pots, and crystalized sulfur, on top of the beautiful scenery and waterfalls during your hike. Due to the volcanic energy of this area, there are multiple thermal pools that you can soak in and reap the benefits of all the volcanic minerals.
Dive the Catalina Islands
The Catalina Islands is one of the top dive destination in Costa Rica. This series of islands is home to an astonishing population of rays (giant manta rays, devil manta rays, bat rays, string rays, spotted eagle rays, cow-nosed rays, and bullseye electric rays) as well as sharks, turtles, pilot whales, dolphins, and occasionally whale sharks. The visibility is best between September and March.
Sunset Catamaran and Snorkeling Tour
Almost any moderately touristy beach down in Guanacaste has at least one type of catamaran and snorkeling tour. They all follow a similar tour model: cruise to a protected bay where you can snorkel or swim, eat lunch, open bar, slow cruise back just as the sun is setting. A sunset catamaran and snorkeling tour is a really fun way to spend an afternoon on the ocean. It is also likely that you will spot some marine wildlife life such as sea turtle, jumping rays, flying fish, dolphins, and whales.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.