Volunteering and ecotourism are gaining momentum as popular ways to travel abroad. Venturing off to a foreign country on an adventure where you will also have the opportunity to give back to the local community, lend a helping hand in an environmental conservation project, take care of sick, injured, or abandoned animals, or utilize your specialized skills in medicine or education to improve the lives of others is an experience unmatched by any other. There are many wonderful non-profit organizations and programs in Costa Rica; find out how to choose one.
While Costa Rica is a booming tourist destination with hundreds of hotels and resorts, first-world amenities and luxuries, no army or military conflict, and exquisite nature and wildlife, it is still a developing country and there are plenty of people and animals who would greatly appreciate a kind and compassionate helping hand. However, there are a few thing to consider before jumping on an airplane to Costa Rica to volunteer.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It is important to choose a volunteer project that involves something you are passionate about or interested in, as this will make the experience significantly more rewarding for you and for those whom you are helping. While there will be challenging and trying times during your volunteer commitment, you don’t want it to feel as if you are going to a job you can’t stand. This should be a positive, rewarding, and exciting opportunity, not a dreaded one. So, if you don’t love children, don’t work in an orphanage or at a local school; if you don’t love the sun and the ocean, stay away from coastal projects.
It is also very important that you conduct thorough research to ensure that the program you choose is legitimate, responsible, organized, and safe. You can find out all of these things out by exploring the non-profit’s website, directly contacting the organization, reading reviews, reading forums and blogs, and trusting your gut instinct when you explore all of these avenues. This kind of information should be transparent on their website and in their communication with you.
Some Reputable and Popular Opportunities
There are great efforts being made to promote conservation, sustainability, ecotourism, and animal care in Costa Rica. There are also wonderful efforts to teach English, provide exceptional healthcare to everyone who seeks it, renovate and construct important infrastructure within small local communities, and help families in need through childcare, elderly care, and special-needs care. If you’re not sure where to begin, the following are some reputable organizations that you can look into.
Costa Rica Rescue Center
The Costa Rica Rescue Center is “is a non-profit organization that gives animals a second change at life. Our dedicated staff and selfless volunteers work tirelessly to help these animals heal, keep them safe, rehabilitate them, and eventually re-lease them into their natural habitats in the Costa Rican rainforest.”
Tree of Life Wildlife Rescue Center
This center “provides a safe haven to animals that need refuge because of loss of habitat, accidents… or hunting.” Volunteers are always needed to help prepare food for the animals, feed them, clean the cages, build and repair enclosures, plant trees, garden, and help build and clean roads.
The Corcovado Foundation “is a non-profit volunteering and conservation organization, with a fantastic reputation for community engagement. Our conservation programs are based in the southern Pacific region of Costa Rica, known as the Osa Peninsula, which is famous for its intense biodiversity and pristine wilderness. Our volunteer programs are open to volunteers from all around the world and include teaching environmental education in rural schools, sea turtle conservation, working to support the Osa Rural Tours Network, and protect Costa Rica’s rainforests.”
ASVO (Association of Volunteers for Service in Protected Areas)
This association “has been active in the conservation of national parks, beaches, and communities in Costa Rica for more than twenty-five years.” ASVO works in 28 different areas in Costa Rica through a number of different projects that include sea turtle conservation and environmental education in rural communities.
Costa Rica Humanitarian Foundation
This foundation “is a non-profit organization committed to developing creative and economic solutions to a wide range of social problems in Costa Rica. The CRHF provides opportunities to exchange friendship, goods, services, and financial resources for critical needs among different cultures, socio-economic classes, and language groups.”
Amigos of Costa Rica
Finally, this is a non-profit organization “that supports sustainable development in Costa Rica in four primary areas of focus: education, capacity-building, conservation, and science and technology.” Their website has links to all of the programs they support. You can donate monetarily to any of the programs, or you can go directly to the website of the program you are interested in and learn how to volunteer there.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.