Before you dock elsewhere in Belize, a stop for food on the Placencia Peninsula is a must. Waterside restaurants serving local and international eats surround the fishing village at the tip of the peninsula. Italian, Mexican, pub meals and local faves; you’ll find it all on the menus of the best waterside restaurants in Placencia.
Discover the most spectacular beaches and best coastal restaurants in Belize with the Culture Trip’s Sailing Trips.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Buba Wuba’s Grill & Smoke Shack
Take lunch out on the lagoon at this easygoing local haunt that you’re sure to fall in love with for one reason or another. You could highlight the home-made tortillas, name-drop the bananas foster, or talk about how simple yet spectacular the burgers are. We feel it’s best to call it like it is: Buba Wuba’s has good food and good views you can share with the good people of Placencia.
Omar’s Creole Grub
Placencia has no shortage of docks soaked with beer, wine and spirits, but Omar’s offers an alcohol-free alternative for any sailor who needs a sober night out. If you do want a hard drink, pop into the grocery store next door and BYOB to Omar’s without a fee or fuss. But trust us when we tell you that the coconut curry fish and key lime pie are so amazing, you’ll want to remember every bite.
La Dolce Vita Italian Restaurant
La Dolce Vita should be your go-to for a romantic dinner when sailing to Placencia. You can get your seafood fix here from dishes such as sautéed shrimp in wine sauce and tuna spaghetti, to name a few. Cooked by Italians with a passion you can taste in every bite, trust that your servers will pair a fantastic wine with your plate without hesitation.
Yoli’s Over Da Water Bar & Grill
On the southern tip of Placencia, the owners of Yoli’s Over Da Water won’t mind if you drink the day away while watching the water rock below you. Locals are always bumming around this bar, especially at sunset. We advise tying your dinghy to their dock on Sundays when they cook up one of the best barbecues on the peninsula, including pork chops that will blow your mind.
Habanero Mexican Cafe & Bar
No sailor should be surprised to find Habanero’s Mexican menu hanging around the marina. Sample the flavors of Belize’s neighbor to the north with a sizzling plate of shrimp fajitas, creamy guacamole and chimichangas. This waterside restaurant floats off the western edge of the peninsula, making it a sublime spot for a piña colada while watching the sunset.
Inky’s 19th Hole Bar & Grill
It may be at the tail end of a tiny eighteen, but Inky’s 19th Hole Bar & Grill is worth the effort. This full-service, family-friendly restaurant on the miniature golf course is right across the street from the beach. Treat the kiddos to a post-round personal cheese pizza and adorably named Inky Tinky mocktail. For being such a great caddy, you deserve nothing less than a big plate of seafood ravioli swimming in saffron cream sauce.
Cozy Corner Hotel & Restaurant
After hours of baking in the sun, Cozy Corner welcomes you to grab some shade and a meal. Wrap yourself in the comfort of a burrito filled with beans, salsa, veg and cheese – we’d throw some fresh sautéed lobster meat in there for good measure. There’s also a Monster Burrito lurking in this Cozy Corner. It may not bite, but you should if you’re hungry enough.
The Breezeway Restaurant and Pool Bar in the Mariposa Beach Resort
Let the warm winds of the area known locally as Barefoot Perfect usher you into the Breezeway Restaurant and Pool Bar. You may catch a glimpse of farmers or fishermen dropping off their bounty, but fresh food isn’t the only taste of local life you’ll find here. Belizean art and hand-built furniture adorn this open-air restaurant. There’s nothing to distract you from appreciating this poolside eatery, except for perhaps the Tiburon rum punch.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.