Pristine beaches and lush forests balanced with historical landmarks and art venues make up an intriguing mix of treasures waiting to be found. Consisting of two main and several smaller sun-kissed islands, Trinidad & Tobago is located at the southernmost end of the Caribbean. Although most people have heard of the exciting carnival — the greatest show worldwide — a rich culture and amazing natural wonders give you many more reasons to put it first in your destination list. Read our guide to find out what you shouldn’t miss.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
One of the most well known beaches in the island of Trinidad, Maracas is protected by a deep crescent-curved bay. Located on the north side, it lies at the end of a scenic mountain drive from Port of Spain drawing dozens or even hundreds of visitors every day. If you’re looking for more peace and quiet, the nearby beaches make great alternatives. Once you reach this palm-fringed strip of golden sand, enjoy the sun on the shore, take a refreshing swim in the sea, paddle in the blue-green waves or choose a more adventurous activity. Whatever you do, don’t forget to visit one of the several stands and try out bake and shark, the local delicacy.
A breathtaking drive from Tobago’s capital you will find the Main Ridge reserve through which a short hike will lead you to Argyle River and its multi-tiered waterfall. Take a tour to learn about the rich flora and fauna of the surrounding area and take some time to feel the serene, healing power of the water
La Brea Pitch Lake
Surrounded by a veil of mystery with numerous local legends, this is the largest natural asphalt lake in the whole world, the others being the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles and Lake Guanoco in Venezuela. Beside the village of La Brea, the Pitch Lake has long been attracting scientists and visitors alike for various reasons. Walk on the semisolid surface, visit the small museum that hosts Amerindian artifacts, fossilized remains and other items uncovered from the lake, take a guided tour to learn about the geological history of the place and swim in the natural springs with high levels of sulfur for its healing properties.
Tobago Forest Reserve
Being the oldest protected rainforest in the Western hemisphere dating back to 1776, the Main Ridge Forest Reserve is home to a great number of flora and fauna from rare bird species such as the White-tailed Sabrewing Hummingbird to mammals, lizards and snakes. Get in touch with the majesty of our natural world and discover Tobago’s unique biodiversity.
Temple in the Sea
Εven though Trinidad is filled with hundreds of religious sites, only one is a floating marvel. The Waterloo coastal temple was build out of necessity by Sewdass Sadhu after the original was razed to the ground by the government. A tiny symbol of huge persistence and pure love is an octagonal-shaped colorful structure surrounded by lanky flags and linked to the mainland through a walkway. To this day, Hindu devotees use it for worship and religious ceremonies. Remove your footwear and enter it with respect to get a better look at the painted marble and stone deities.
Queen’s Park Savannah
This is Port of Spain’s largest open recreational space and the center stage for the popular Carnival. Covered with low grass and lined with impressive trees, Queen’s Park Savannah is beloved by sports enthusiasts, families and couples who bring it to life on afternoons and weekends. Whether you want to indulge in the sumptuous local food served by street vendors, admire the striking architecture or spend time in nature, the park itself along with the surrounding attractions such as the Botanic Gardens, the Zoo and the Magnificent Seven make up the ideal spot.
Asa Wright Nature Centre
Buried deep among mountains in the dense rainforest, Asa Wright Nature Center is a small park created to conserve part of the Arima Valley. Well known for its amazing diversity in animal and plant species, AWNC is a leader in ecotourism while at the same time promoting education and research in every possible way. Explore this paradise for birdwatchers and stay overnight at the lodge for more adventure.
Caroni Swamp & Bird Sanctuary
If the Asa Wright Nature Center wasn’t enough, we have some good news for you. Caroni Swamp & Bird Sanctuary is a nesting site of many types of birds and home to numerous species of wildlife. Join a tour for a guided boat trip and spot Scarlet Ibis, the spectacular flame-colored birds, as they descend on the trees in large flocks.
Situated off Pigeon Point beach, the Nylon Pool is a natural, crystal clear swimming pool with a sandy bottom in the middle of the ocean. Also known as the Pigeon Point Heritage Park, it is considered the best beach on Tobago, able to rejuvenate anyone lucky enough to swim in it.
Fort King George
Built by the British in the 1700s, Fort King George sits high above the capital of Scarborough and is the ideal place to catch a glimpse of Tobago’s colonial history. View the silent cannons and restored buildings or gaze over the city and the ocean before you visit the worthy Tobago Museum, open from Monday to Friday 9.30am-4.30pm, which displays an impressive collection of Amerindian artifacts, old maps and military relics.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.