For such a small island, Puerto Rico is packed full of exciting adventures and sights. If you’re a camping enthusiast, the island has many opportunities for you to camp in varied settings, from coastline to dry forest to mountains. Here are a few of the campgrounds in Puerto Rico you should consider.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Parque Nacional Balneario Seven Seas
This National Park near Fajardo has a beautiful beach that is relatively empty during the winter months. It’s also lovely in the summer, albeit more crowded, as it’s popular with the locals. You can pay a $5 fee to park inside and use the restroom facilities, or just park on the road and walk in, as all beaches in Puerto Rico are public. The parking fee helps pay for lifeguards and police patrol. Camping at this spot in Puerto Rico is available at $10 per day and, as with most parks in Puerto Rico, accommodation must be booked in advance and a permit obtained. This beach has beautiful sand and lovely waters, and most of the time has a Blue Flag status, so it’s a great place to take the kids.
Punta Maracayo Camping Center
Punta Maracayo Camping in Puerto Rico has updated cabins and 16 villas equipped with air-conditioning and capacity for six people. There are also camping areas for RVs. Play areas have giant animal figures on which the children can climb, pools for children and adults, basketball court, plus an impressive water slide for infinite family fun. Reasonably priced with a two-night minimum, it’s across the street from the beach and within walking distance of many fabulous restaurants and shops in peaceful Hatillo.
Sun Bay Campground
Get the ultimate, and inexpensive, Vieques experience by camping at Sun Bay Campground. As with other national parks on the island, camping is just $10 a day. Sites must be reserved and paid for between 8:30am and 5pm at the National Park office (not the DNR office). There is no limit to the number of days you can stay at this Puerto Rico camping site. Sites are in a flat, grassy area next to the beach, and you won’t be allowed to camp on the sand. Charcoal grilling is permitted (you’ll have to bring your own charcoal) and there are permanent grills within the campsite area, and picnic tables on the beach. Bathrooms are available and there are outdoor showers for bathing. For peace of mind, there is security on duty from 3pm to 7am.
Parque Nacional Tres Hermanos
Parque Nacional Tres Hombres is a lovely park on the crystal clear coastline of Añasco. It is the perfect location to explore the northwest region of the island and its many sites, such as Cueva Ventana and the Arecibo Observatory, or you can go whale watching from the city of Rincón. For the rustic camper, Tres Hombres has campsites available for $10 a night, or $17 a night if you’d like water and electricity, while restrooms with showers are available. In addition to these sites, they also have spots for RVs, and they have 32 cabins and 120 villas available for rent. If the gorgeous beach is not enough for you, they also have a pool, basketball courts and areas for beach volleyball.
El Yunque National Rainforest
El Yunque National Rainforest is the only rainforest that can be found on United States soil. It can be found southwest of Las Croabas and has both rainforests and cloud forests. At the elevation point of 3088 feet (940 meters) there is a lookout tower that offers breathtaking views. You have the option of driving through the forest, or taking the Mount Britton hiking trail, which has three rest stops where you can relax and take pictures of the rarely seen Puerto Rican parrot or the indigenous coqui frogs. Rustic camping is available for the avid camper. You must hike to the sites, some of which have primitive cooking areas available, but you must bring your own supplies and wood is scarce. Remember to get your camping permit at least two weeks in advance.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.