The Fania All-Stars were a collection of the best of the best in the world of Latin music. They took in all the forms of Latin music and the Latin/African/Indian cultural history and mixed it together to form what is known as New York Salsa. Although the band did not stay together for long, it did make a huge impact on the music industry and on the salsa genre in many countries, including Puerto Rico.
In 1964, two men partnered to form the Fania label, designed to promote, produce, and sell the Latino music of New York. One was a Dominican named Johnny Pacheco, a composer, band leader, arranger, and producer that had earned many music awards and was well known in the music industry. The other was a Brooklyn-born lawyer and promoter by the name of Jerry Masucci. Jerry Masucci was a master promoter and soon had the likes of Willie Colón, a Panamanian lawyer named Ruben Blades, Cuban guarachera Celia Cruz, Héctor Lavoe and, of course, Johnny Pacheco, either forming up the band or performing as a regular guest artist. With this tremendous creative mix, a list of regular guest artists to rival even that of Motown (a label with its own orchestra), the Fania All-Stars became an enormous machine for marketing, promoting and recording salsa music.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The growth of the band
Salsa music has many different rhythms and styles that pay tribute to the gods of music but bow to none. Salsa can be romantic or full of mystery and religion. It can tell stories of a past time or about current day struggles. It can be experimental, political, or boundlessly happy. For these reasons, salsa became a major music genre not only in New York, but all over the world. Two of the Fania All-Stars’ biggest concerts were in Japan and Zaire (now the Democratic Republic of the Congo). Of course, in the Latin world the popularity soared as a way to express all that one was feeling.
A change in the sound
As salsa defined its identity and evolved, the horn section moved to the front of the music while the traditional Cuban percussion moved to the rear, with the piano brought in to play the rhythm. With the introduction of electric instruments by pianist and arranger Larry Harlow, salsa was further defined as a unique sound.
The Fania All-Stars started out doing smaller concerts to “test the waters” but it soon became obvious that a bigger venue would be needed. This lead to the pivotal moment in the band’s career when they played for 45,000 screaming fans at Yankee Stadium in August of 1973.
For people who were hungry or desperate, confused in a sometimes hostile world, living two lives – whether that be a Puerto Rican away from home living in New York, or a youth with dual life at home and on the street – salsa music is a bridge between the two, a bridge between generations, a way of bringing generations of Latinos together with its unique sound. By the late 1970s salsa was a common language among Latinos. As Willie Colón said, “It is a validation, a cultural place, a platform to tell our stories and to communicate across the broad expanses that we inhabit.”
It is easy to see why today salsa music is so important to the people of Puerto Rico as well as many other Latino nations. It is still very strong and popular with the young and old alike.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.