Puerto Rico is mostly known for its year-round sunshine and heavenly beaches. Yet, beyond the incredible landscapes and endless sun, the island’s rich heritage and hidden treasures prove it has so much more to offer.
From mystical caves to the largest rum distillery in the world, Puerto Rico invites you to experience the fun side of life. Here are some of the most fascinating facts you might not know about the island. Who knows? They just might inspire your next trip to the Caribbean.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
2021 marks 500 years since Puerto Rico’s capital was founded.
San Juan, the capital of Puerto Rico, is the second-oldest European-founded city in the Americas. The historic district of Old San Juan, which is now a Unesco World Heritage Site, was founded by Spanish settlers exactly 500 years ago. Take a walk here today and you’ll find the colonial fortresses of El Morro and San Cristóbal, built by the Spaniards during the 16th century. There’s also the beautiful San José Church (Iglesia de San José) and its early Gothic facade, as well as some great beaches, buzzing cafes and modern art galleries.
Puerto Rico is home to the brightest bioluminescent bay in the world.
There are only five bioluminescent bays on Earth and Puerto Rico lays claim to three of them: Fajardo Bioluminescent Bay, La Parguera and Mosquito Bay. Mosquito Bay, on the Island of Vieques, is the most luminous in the world; it has a special type of algae called dinoflagellates, or “dinos”, which can produce a burst of bright blue light. The bay temporarily lost its glow following Hurricane Maria back in 2017, but has since returned to its former splendor. Hop on a clear-bottomed kayak at night to view the waters in all of their shining glory.
The only tropical rainforest in the US is found here.
Formerly known as the Caribbean National Forest, El Yunque National Forest is the only tropical rainforest in the United States. This Puerto Rican gem spans 28,000 acres (11,331ha) and boasts 240 different types of foliage, alongside rivers, waterfalls and bright green valleys. Follow one of the many hiking trails to go deeper into the rainforest; some of them could bring you face to face with exotic animals, such as the endangered Puerto Rican parrot and the Coquí frog. There’s also a zipline that transports you from one treetop to the next, letting you soar high among lush canopies.
There’s a dry forest full of endangered animals.
The Guánica State Forest is a United Nations International Biosphere Reserve, not to mention one of the most extensive dry forests in the world. Its 9,000 acres (3,642ha) are home to more than 600 varieties of flora and fauna, which include 48 endangered animal species and 130 types of birds. Make the most of the 12 available trails and hike your way through the marvellous wildlife and abundant nature.
There are around 300 beaches.
With a Caribbean coastline of 270mi (435km), is it any wonder why Puerto Rico is a beachgoer’s paradise? The island has around 300 beaches to choose from, including the palm-fringed Flamenco Beach. Definitely visit Black Sand Beach in Vieques; not only are the sands truly black, but you’ll likely be visited by a wild horse or two as you sunbathe. If you’re a surfer, you’ll love the big winter waves at Domes Beach. Meanwhile, the natural cove of Mar Chiquita makes for an ideal Instagram snap.
Puerto Rico has the largest cave network in the western hemisphere.
If you want to try spelunking, there’s no better place than Puerto Rico. The island is home to the Cavernas del Río Camuy: the third-largest cave network on the planet. It occupies more than 286 acres (116ha) with 220 underground caves – and there are up to 800 more that haven’t even been explored yet. When you go underground, there are more than 10mi (16km) of mapped trails that you can stick to. Some are brimming with unique finds. Venture into Cueva Ventana to discover rock carvings by the Caribbean’s indigenous Taíno people; they depict gods and animals, and are thought to be several hundreds of years old.
Dozens of islands make up Puerto Rico – and only three of them are inhabited.
While often referred to as a single island, Puerto Rico is, in fact, an archipelago. It’s comprised of three inhabited islands – Puerto Rico, Culebra and Vieques – and many more uninhabited ones. The undisturbed islands and cays can make for a fun day trip, filled with swimming and snorkeling in turquoise waters. Among the most beautiful are Isla de Mona, home to giant iguanas and sea turtles, and Isla Palomino, which is perfect for horseback riding.
Puerto Rico is the rum capital of the world and the cocktail capital of the Caribbean.
Although the cocktail’s actual inventor remains a mystery, Puerto Rico is the birthplace of the Piña Colada. It’s also the largest rum producer in the world, with 86% of all rum sold in the US coming from the island. Famed spirits brand Bacardi has its biggest rum distillery here, too; it makes more than 100,000 liters (175,975pt) every 24 hours, which is nearly 85% of the company’s total rum output. Take a tour around Casa Bacardi to see where the magic happens and try a mixology class to make the perfect cocktail.
You’ll find one of the most diverse cultures in the world here.
Puerto Rico is defined by its diversity: a fusion of African, Spanish and Taino Indian cultures. That comes through in all aspects of everyday life, from music to gastronomy. Once here, you can see, learn and practise traditional skills that have been perfected over generations. Among them is bomba, a style of dance music created by slaves in Puerto Rican sugar plantations more than 400 years ago. It’s a truly unique genre, as the rhythms of the dancers influence the musicians’ playing, not vice versa.
The holiday season never ends in Puerto Rico.
If you’re looking for an endless party, then Puerto Rico will be your paradise. It takes pride in having the longest holiday season in the world, hosting many prolonged festivals and celebrations during the winter months. The Puerto Rican Christmas, La Navidad, lasts for 45 days from November to mid-January. Part of the celebrations are the eight days of Las Octavitas, which culminate in Puerto Rico’s most vibrant festival, the Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastián, in Old San Juan.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.