These hotels in Puerto Rico are primely positioned to experience famous attractions including the Casa Bacardí distillery and the Yunque rainforest. What’s more, they’re all bookable with Culture Trip.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Puerto Rico is a mix of colorful past and present, famed for its pristine beaches and year-round sun. The capital city of San Juan is the backbone of its tourism, but those with an eye for adventure will be rewarded with spectacular natural sights when exploring further afield. Sumptuous rainforests, the ethereal, glowing waters of bioluminescent bays and fine examples of colonial architecture await on this richly diverse Caribbean island.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Villa Herencia Hotel
Tradition meets shabby chic at this charming boutique hotel in Old San Juan. Distressed walls, zebra-print chairs, modern chandeliers and bright oil paintings make the Villa Herencia a quirky treasure. The eight bedrooms are cozy, romantic and stylish. Well-appointed for access to the many shops, restaurants and galleries, it’s a mere one-minute walk across the cobblestones to the impressive Metropolitan Cathedral Basilica, the United States’ oldest cathedral. The setting is a perfect base for exploring the old town — and also a great way to start or finish a longer trip exploring the island.
Escape the pressures of daily life and start the day at Finca Victoria’s 7am complimentary poolside yoga session, guaranteed to build up an appetite for the delicious al fresco vegan breakfast. The overarching calmness belies little trace of Finca’s recent past when it was devastated by Hurricane Maria in 2017. The renovated rooms are lovingly decorated with works by local artists and furnished with vintage finds. An on-site apothecary draws on recipes passed down from Puerto Rican elders, inventing remedies and refreshing house tea blends. When the skies permit, clear views of the Milky Way add a frisson of magic to this enchanted place. La Finca is on the small island of Vieques, linked to the main island by a 45-minute ferry, or take a short but stunning flight.
Located near the Cornelio Lagoon, this delightful collection of cottages and bungalows is uniquely decorated. The views of the Luis Peña Canal are spectacular, ideal for watching the passing yachts and dazzling array of birds. Although this is a prime sightseeing base, you’d be forgiven for whiling away the days lounging on a hammock, soaking up the vivid sunsets. Located on Culebra island, you’ll need a Jeep or 4×4 to get to this property given its hilltop setting.
It’s the personal touch from owner Sylvia de Marco that makes this vegetarian hotel in Puerto Ricoso special. This swiftly becomes evident at check-in when guests are gifted her hand-drawn neighborhood map, highlighting a selection of the area’s best attractions. Most rooms have a lovely airy terrace and all are adorned with the eponymous dreamcatcher. The only tough decision you’ll face is deciding between which fresh juice blend or kombucha elixir to imbibe after an invigorating yoga class. The perfect spot if you want to get a feel for Puerto Rico but still indulge in wellness-focused little luxuries.
Olive Boutique Hotel
Laced with mementos and artifacts collected from traveling the globe, the owners of this four-star luxury hotel have curated a stylish retreat, full of idiosyncratic quirks inspired by Moorish, French and Italian heritage. The 15 rooms have been designed with meticulous attention to detail, as showcased by the private outdoor suite showers and the Gran Cru Suite’s lagoon-facing hot tub. The rooftop bar basks in the light from the dreamy sunsets.
The Fox Hotel
Pop art fans, welcome home. This architectural wonder in Ponce, Puerto Rico’s second-largest city, was formerly home to a movie theatre dating back to 1931. The original features have been lovingly preserved in the creation of the city’s first themed hotel. Dedicated to pop art, music and fashion, color bursts out of every crevice. Andy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein comfortably share space with murals of Elvis Presley and Frank Sinatra on sunshine yellow walls. The equally buoyant coffee house serves everything from smoothies and protein shakes to classic brunch dishes and wraps.
The Gallery Inn
Yes, those are sculptures of Barack and Michelle Obama that were cast by artist owner Jan D’Esopo, commemorating their stay here. Jan’s accomplished art can be seen throughout, adding character to the individually decorated bedrooms. Located high above the Old City’s North Wall, the panoramic views of San Juan Bay are topped by the mountains of central Puerto Rico. Visitors flock back repeatedly to this artistic haven, timing their trips with the Inn’s intimate candlelight concert series.
Nomada Urban Beach Hostel
Set in Calle Loíza, notorious for its creativity and growth as a buzzy area, this renovated hostel offers a mix of dorms and private rooms alongside a trio of tents on the rooftop. Imagine starting the day by rolling back the flaps to witness the glory of the sunrise from the comfort of a queen-sized mattress. Just because you’re traveling on a budget, you don’t need to cut back on amenities. There’s much revelry to be had in the communal areas with board games, a PlayStation, books and movies all available.
You’ll be warmly welcomed into this 17-room Hispanic hacienda with a Crab Island Rum drink from Vieques’s sole craft distillery. This cool concoction is best enjoyed by looking out at the views from this quiet hilltop boutique hotel, filled with antiques and memorabilia from the owner’s personal collection. It overlooks Esperanza Bay’s aquamarine waters and its twin cays. Mosquito Bay, the brightest bioluminescent bay in the world, is a 15-minute drive away.
Looking for somewhere different to stay? Book into one of the best resorts in Puerto Rico, or treat yourself to an unforgettable boutique hotel. Inspire your itinerary with the most beautiful destinations on this Caribbean island; don’t miss the must-see attractions. And, when in the Puerto Rican capital, book yourself a table at the best restaurants in San Juan.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.