Though the industry is dwindling somewhat, there are still a number of fishing villages and family-run businesses, so fresh fish and seafood is abundant in Puerto Rico. Here is a list of some of the specialties of the sea that Puerto Rico has to offer.
The ceti run in July through December in the Arecibo area. Ceti are tiny transparent fish that are not even an inch long so, of course, are eaten whole. Try a ceti empanadilla or mofongo relleno con ceti.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The octopus is often marinated in a garlicky brine or a combination that includes Old Bay Seasoning, and then grilled so that it is crispy on the outside and so very tender on the inside. Octopus does not have a fishy flavor at all; it is light and almost has the smokey flavor of bacon when grilled.
Carrucho is on every menu in many forms, such as fritters or in empanadillas, and as salad. The dish is made with bite size pieces of conch and fresh vegetables like hot peppers, onions and roasted red peppers, and olives and capers add another level of flavor. Often tomato is added just before serving. The dressing is a light citrusy vinaigrette made with lime juice, olive oil and garlic, and seasoned to taste.
Aguacate relleno (stuffed avocado)
Avocadoes can be used in so many ways, and one of the best is stuffed with shrimp in a creamy garlic sauce. The warm fragrant shrimp with the cool avocado is divine. Pair it with a chilled glass of albariño for an exquisite culinary experience.
Coconut crusted shrimp may not be uniquely Puerto Rican, but the freshness of the locally-caught shrimp, the fresh grated coconut and the fruit used in the sauce makes a major difference in the dish served here. Fresh guava used for a sweet sauce makes these crunchy shrimp out of this world. Try this as an appetizer or as a meal – you will not regret it.
The recipes for ceviche are as endless as the waves on the shores of Puerto Rico. Fish or seafood is “cooked” in lime or lemon juice, or a combination of the two, along with fresh cilantro. Ceviche can be made with red snapper, mahi mahi, grouper or any whitefish that has a firm flesh. It can also be made with seafood like shrimp, but that made with fish is the lightest and freshest. Red onion, tomato, hot or mild peppers and cucumber are just a few of the things that are added. Often served with tostones or yuca chips, this is a great way to start any Puerto Rican dining experience.
Mofongo relleno con camarones
Mofongo is probably one of the most well-known and popular Puerto Rican dishes. Green plantains are fried and then mashed with chicharrones (pork rinds) and a lot of garlic and oil is added to give it a nice moist consistency that is easy to mold and will hold its shape. Try this seafood variety stuffed with camarones (shrimp) in a criollo sauce.
Red snapper is caught locally and served fresh at many restaurants. Snapper is almost always served whole, and usually fried with a light batter. The meat has a light flavor, so it blends well with different seasonings or sauces. Snapper also has relatively big bones for a fish, so it is easier to eat.
This dish is a savory stew made with salt cod and a spicy tomato sauce. The best bacalao guisado is made with homemade sofrito, a commonly used blend of cilantro, peppers, onion and garlic, along with other spices.
Arroz con jueyes
Rice dishes are a staple in Puerto Rico, so try something a little bit different and get your seafood fix with the arroz con jueyes, rice with crab.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.