When visiting Kingston, Jamaica, it’s worth leaving the confines of New Kingston to head for Liguanea, which takes its name from the Taino word for the iguana lizards that are common in Jamaica. Today, Liguanea is a mixed commercial & residential neighbourhood roughly centered around Matilda’s Corner at the junction of Hope and Old Hope Roads. The two shopping areas of the Sovereign Centre and Sovereign North offer the greatest concentration of eateries in Kingston. Sitting alongside the restaurants are clothing boutiques, a multiplex cinema, gyms and day spas. Those wanting a more cultural experience can head along Old Hope Road to some of Kingston’s most significant historic sites such as Devon House. Join Culture Trip as we explore the top things to do, see and eat in Liguanea, Jamaica
Eleni’s Bakery – For European Quality Pastries
Start the day with a fresh pastry and coffee from the best bakery in Kingston. It may have only been open less than a year but Eleni’s has fast earned a reputation as the number one bakery in town, with croissants of every kind, millefeuille, macaroons, chocolate eclairs and baguettes so moreish they taste like they came from a boulangerie in a rural French village. There really is no better start to the day than one of their delicious pastries and a Jamaican blue mountain coffee – which they also sell. Or stop by for a lunch of croque-monsieur and a delicious fresh juice.
Eleni’s Bakery, 29 Barbican Rd, Kingston, Jamaica, +1 876 544 2731
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Dance JA – Learn some dancehall moves
Learn some sweet dancehall moves with Dance JA. Polish up that Dutty Step and practice the Trap Setta at this Kingston dance studio. Nothing encapsulates the spirit of Jamaica better than the sound system culture and learning a few steps is a great introduction to one the world’s more expressive dance cultures. Weekly workshops will bring even the clumsiest of movers up to speed with the latest in all things dancehall. Private lessons are also available. Dance JA also offer cultural activities from lectures on Jamaica dancehall to Patois chat sessions.
Dance JA, 22 Barbican Road. Kingston, Jamaica, +1 876 844 3353
Carnival Time! – Take Part In The Bacchanal Jamaica Road Parade
The streets will come alive once more on 23rd April 2017 with the annual Bacchanal Road Parade that passes through Liguanea. A carnival like no other, thousands take part in brightly coloured bikinis accessorised with exotic feathers. The soca music plays (loudly and constantly) while the rum flows at what has to be one of the best organised street carnivals in the whole Caribbean. Don’t worry about missing out either; carnival season actually starts in January and them continues for some eight weeks to its climax on the weekend after Easter.
Bob Marley Museum – Visit The Reggae Legend’s Former Home.
The most popular tourist attraction in Kingston has to be number 56 Hope Road. Home of Reggae legend and Jamaican superstar Bob Marley, this house is decorated with Marley’s platinum and gold albums. A tour of the property imparts all there is to know about the life and music of this unforgettable reggae legend.
Bob Marley Museum, 56 Hope Rd, Kingston, Jamaica, +1 876 927 9152
Devon House – Take in some culture (and ice cream)
Devon House is a must-do item on any Kingston visitor’s list. Built in 1881, it originally belonged to George Stiebel, Jamaica’s first black millionaire. This beautiful property, rich in Jamaican history, has been expertly restored by Jamaica National Heritage Trust and offers an elegant glimpse into the past. Tours are offered daily and out of season you might even have the whole house to yourself. An admission ticket includes a world famous Devon House ice-cream, available from the store in the courtyard. This is also a good place to stock upon gifts for friends and family as there are excellent little shops on site. There are also a few eateries and a bar in the grounds, making this the perfect one-stop venue.
Devon House, Hope Road, Kingston, Jamaica, +1 876 926 0815
Jade Garden – Enjoy Dim Sum
Specializing in Cantonese cuisine, Jade Garden is a the place to go for some of the best dim sum in Jamaica. Located on the top floor of the Sovereign complex on Hope Road, it offers a treat for the taste buds. Dim sum is available daily, although the Sunday brunch is the most popular time of the week. Service is fast and efficient and anything not eaten will be promptly wrapped for you to take home. No dim sum is ever left behind! Popular with the local Chinese community, it’s easy to see why.
Sample Jerk Chicken From A Traditional Street Seller
On Barbican Road, just outside the Sovereign North shopping area, not far from Matilda’s corner, is some of the best jerk chicken in Kingston. Each evening the jerk guys set up their stands and cook up jerk chicken. The aroma is delectable, and the food rightfully has a fantastic reputation amongst Kingstonians as the best street jerk in town. There is always music playing for the steady stream of customers, creating a uniquely Jamaican experience.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.