Founded in 2002, Kingston Dub Club is home to the Rockers Soundsystem and is dedicated to undiluted roots music and sound system culture. This unique club is operated by Karlyle ‘Gabre Selassie’ Lee, a committed Rastafarian who uses his sound system to ‘edutain’ and fire up the spirit of everyone fortunate enough to fall within earshot. Kingston Dub Club has achieved something of a legendary status; high above Kingston on Skyline drive, the club opens its doors every Sunday evening for an immersive evening of matchless music. As they say ‘the only good system is a sound system’. If you find yourself in Kingston, Jamaica, then here’s five reasons why you should also find yourself at Kingston Dub Club.
Experience true roots reggae and dub from one of the sound system greats
There’s only one way to listen to dub, and that’s from a legendary sound system in the expert hands of one of Jamaica’s foremost practitioners. Head to Kingston Dub Club for a rare authentic musical experience. Gabre is dedicated to his art and has spent 25 years honing his skills. The sound system has toured the UK, Israel and Japan and is streamed live on Sunday nights 8pm to 2am.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Find yourself and lose yourself
There is an integrity and purity to Gabre’s craft that never fails catch hold of the inner spirit. An evening at the club can be a spiritual experience for some, or an opportunity to rock out for others. Raised by Rastafarians and mentored by musical legends such as Augustus Pablo, Gabre’s early influences are evident every Sunday night. If you have a soul, then give it some nourishment at Kingston Dub Club.
Meet fellow music lovers from around the world
This is a popular venue and often has an eclectic crowd – old and young, local and international. The one thing everyone has in common is the music. There are few experiences more rewarding than spending time with some like-minded people blissing out to some world class music. Throw in the well-stocked bar and the ital food that’s on offer, and this place is hard to beat. Remember: strictly rockers, no slackers!
See Kingston by night and breath the mountain air
Kingston Dub Club has commanding views from atop Jack’s Hill across Kingston and out into the Harbour. After sunset, the city is laid out before you in a sea of twinkling lights – in fact it’s worth the trip up the hill just for the view. The club sits just high enough to be a few degrees cooler than the city below, and the mountain air is notably cleaner. It is somewhat fitting that the natural environment in which the club sits should itself have a calming, uplifting effect.
Be introduced to Rastafarian culture
Operated by Rastafarians and firmly promoting the virtues of Rastafarianism, Kingston Dub Club is a great place to observe some of the key aspects of this global movement. The prominent rasta colors of red, black, green and gold, heavy with meaning, decorate the venue. Various depictions of Emperor Haile Selassie and the lion of Judah (one and the same) can be found on the walls. The club also serves ital food, the specific diet of the rastas, a wholesome and healthy way to increase your livity or life energy.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.