Montego Bay, the second-largest city in Jamaica, has no shortage of exciting things to do, as well as being home to many excellent accommodation choices and restaurants. Be sure to explore all the area has to offer, including Rastafari cultural tours, dark history lessons about the slave trade in Jamaica and not to mention unwinding by the sea.
Rastafari Indigenous Village
Book an educational tour at the Rastafari Indigenous Village in Montego Bay. During the cultural program, you’ll be told the history of the religious group and hear about the Rastafari principles of equitable exchanges. You’ll have the chance to taste local delicacies including home-made cacao and coconut oil, test out all-natural soaps with ingredients from the organic herb garden, and make and play calabash maracas. The highlight of the visit is listening to a sacred ceremonial musical performance.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Enjoy Jamaica’s world-famous sunsets while out at sea on a luxurious catamaran. Many tour operators organize two-hour sunset sail cruises from Montego Bay, including Dreamer Catamarans. Enjoy the tropical evening as you dance on the dock to the tunes of a live musician and keep an eye on the sea in case a pod of dolphins comes by. Guests have access to a fully stocked open bar and appetizers.
Rose Hall Great House
History lovers won’t want to miss visiting the Jamaican Georgian-style mansion Rose Hall Great House in Montego Bay. The grand 6,600 acre (2,671-hectare) hillside estate was built in the 1770s. The former plantation is said to be haunted by the bloodthirsty spirit of Annie Palmer. You can take a ghost tour to brave your encounter with the White Witch of Rose Hall. Legend has it that the slave owner allegedly murdered three of her husbands and the slaves she’d forced to help cover up her killings.
When the British colonized Jamaica they built many fortresses to protect the stolen land from pirates in the 1700s. Fort Montego once housed four 12-pound cannons and five lower-caliber guns. The cannons were only fired twice in history. It’s free to visit Fort Montego, which is within walking distance from downtown Montego Bay. At the fort, you can visit the three remaining cannons and what’s left of the artillery store.
Enjoy a laid-back beach day at Cornwall Beach, which tends to be less crowded than neighboring Doctor’s Cave Beach. The family-friendly beach is just a short walk from town. You’ll find tranquil waters here that are perfect for a dip. The beach is equipped with all the necessary facilities including restrooms, lockers, chairs and umbrellas. Bring your own towel and relax on the fine sandy shoreline.
Ahhh Rasnatango’s spectacular garden and art gallery is a must-visit in Montego Bay. Take an hour-long guided stroll through the lush gardens to glimpse at Jamaica’s magnificent flora and fauna, including 18 different species of birds. Some blooms you may come across include black gladioli, yellow gladioli, dahlias, begonias, coleus and many different types of ferns. Pick up some locally made keepsakes in the Ahhh Treasures gift shop.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.