There are a host of unique underwater experiences around the world waiting to be had. While some involve more adventure than others, there is something for everyone, serious adrenaline junkies and relaxation seekers alike. From great white shark dives to underwater sculpture parks, we’ve put together a list of some great choices to help you get started on your next underwater adventure.
Visit the Underwater Sculpture Park in Grenada
The Underwater Sculpture Park is a wonderful project and incredible experience for anyone looking to partake in an underwater activity. Founded in 2006 by Jason deCaires Taylor, an artist of many talents, this park — this first of its kind — features numerous sculptures submerged in the waters of Molinere Bay, off the west coast of Grenada. Acting as an artificial reef, the sculptures take pressure off the natural habitat and attracts a beautiful, diverse array of sea life, making it a unique place to explore. Some of the sculptures found in the park include ‘Man on a Bike’ and ‘Vicissitudes,’ which is a circle of life-sized figures holding hands — they were cast from local children.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Reserve a room with views like no other in Fiji
This underwater experience in Fiji is a great option for people with no diving experience. The Poseidon Undersea Resort offers guests the opportunity to reserve hotel rooms and suites all located on the sea floor, and while many resorts offer rooms ‘with a view,’ the views here are truly breathtaking. According to the website, approximately ‘70% of the exterior surface’ is transparent, allowing guests to view sea life in all its beautiful glory. There are even buttons that, once pushed, allow guests to feed the fish. While most vacationers only use their accommodations to sleep, as they’re busy exploring their surroundings, people staying at the Poseidon will never want to leave.
Exploring cenotes in Mexico
Located in the state of Yucatán, cenotes are underwater sinkholes featuring labyrinths of underwater caves. It is believed there are at least 6,000 of these natural wonders in the area; however, only 2,400 are registered. Many people love to swim in these beautiful places, but many other adventurers enjoy exploring the caves via scuba diving and snorkeling. Cenote diving may not be for everyone, as the spaces can be tight and sometimes visibility becomes difficult; however, if you can get past that, it truly is an incredible experience. The water is warm, and the color is gorgeous, especially when the light dances on top.
Diving with great white sharks
If you are looking for an experience that will get your heart pumping and that you will never forget, then dive with great white sharks. From South Africa to Mexico to California, there are many destinations and companies that offer opportunities that will allow you to get up close and personal — albeit from within a cage for your protection — with these magnificent predators. Some companies are more reputable than others, so do your research and search for those that are also committed to protecting the sharks and their environment.
Explore an underwater archeological site in Israel
Located at the Caesarea National Park, the Old Caesarea Diving Center offers a unique opportunity for underwater adventure seekers who are also history buffs. This company offers diving tours of an underwater site known as the Underwater Archeological Park. Once known as Sebastos and built by King Herod over 2,000 years ago, the port was one of the greatest of its time. Today, the harbor sits under the Mediterranean and provides a unique look into the past. Divers are provided with waterproof maps to help guide their way through the four marked trails where they will see docks, sunken ships, cargo, and so much more.
Snorkel and swim with whale sharks
If great white shark diving sounds a bit terrifying, then swimming among whale sharks might be a better option. Often described as ‘gentle giants,’ these large fish — the largest in the world — are docile and usually don’t bother divers who want to get a closer look. However, do not get too close, as they need their space. There are several destinations in the world, including Australia, Belize, and Mozambique, to name a few, where people can take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. As with great white shark diving, seek out companies that are looking out for the well-being of these beautiful fish.
Dine at an undersea restaurant in the Maldives
Located 16 feet below sea level at the Conrad Maldives Rangali Island hotel, the Ithaa Undersea Restaurant is a culinary experience that’s not to be missed. An all-glass, undersea venue — the only one in the world — the restaurant provides guests with not only delectable cuisine but also stunning views they won’t soon forget. While savoring European cuisine, guests will be treated to a wonderful display of marine life, including coral gardens, swimming about the lovely blue water. Established in 2005, Ithaa features multi-course menus for lunch and dinner with options that are sure to delight discerning diners everywhere. For an opportunity to experience exquisite food and a world-class view, be sure to make a reservation. Information can be found here.
Diving in Palau
An archipelago made up of approximately 200 islands, Palau is one of the best places in the world for divers. The picturesque beauty is not limited to the land; it extends underneath the water, as well. A true diver’s paradise, this area is one of the most sought-after diving destinations in the world, as the waters are brimming with fish, sharks, reefs, and historical evidence of WWII. One of the most popular diving destinations, if not the most, in Palau is Blue Corner, with its high concentration of marine life. This area is best for the advanced diver, as it features strong, unpredictable currents.
Take an eco-tour with Atlantis Submarines in Hawaii
While not every underwater adventure on this list is suitable for families, Atlantis Submarines in Hawaii offers memorable underwater experiences the entire family will enjoy. Creating a fun adventure and memories that will last a lifetime, the submarines move gently through the water, allowing visitors to witness the beauty of nature. This company also strives to teach their guests the importance of protecting the ocean and everything in it. Indeed, Atlantis Submarines uses battery-powered submarines and has placed artificial reefs in areas that were once barren so that marine life can thrive once again.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.